Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Verse of the Day 11/2

Through the Bible - Jeremiah 37-38, Hebrews 2
 
Good morning,
If you've ever been on a boat, whether fishing or just for relaxation, you should be able to grasp the concept of drifting.  On the water, if you are not anchored in some form or another, you will drift.  The wind, currents, and the chop of the waves can carry you along faster than you realize.  If you are on a motor boat it is not a big deal.  But if you're in a row or paddle boat and have to head back against the wind, you find out quickly that drifting can have its consequences.
 
Yesterday I quoted the song "Take Time to be Holy" which spoke of speaking often with God and spending time in His Word.  These activities help to keep us anchored and prevent us from drifting.
That is the subject of today's verse which comes from Hebrews 2.
 
Heb 2:1 We must pay more careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away.   NIV
If you are in a kayak and drift it may not be that difficult to paddle back.  But what if you are in a larger boat with all kinds of gear, (fishing or skiing), and perhaps several other people and the motor breaks down?  The added weight makes the task of returning to shore even greater, almost impossible, especially when the winds are 'contrary'.  In that condition it is easy to run aground and against the rocks.
 
It can be easy to drift away from God in the same way.  We head off, or drift off on our own.  At some point the burdens of life weigh us down, it is then that we realize how far we have drifted.  If you find yourself in that place call on HIm.
If you're anchored, remain so.
 

Psalm 55:22 (Amplified Bible)  Cast your burden on the Lord [releasing the weight of it] and He will sustain you; He will never allow the [consistently] righteous to be moved (made to slip, fall, or fail).

Instead of letting go of God, we should remain anchored and cast our burdens on Him, let them go.
 
My Anchor Holds
Though the angry surges roll
On my tempest-driven soul,
I am peaceful, for I know,
Wildly though the winds may blow,
I've an anchor safe and sure,
That can evermore endure.
  • Refrain:
    And it holds, my anchor holds:
    Blow your wildest, then, O gale,
    On my bark so small and frail;
    By His grace I shall not fail,
    For my anchor holds, my anchor holds.
I can feel the anchor fast
As I meet each sudden blast,
And the cable, though unseen,
Bears the heavy strain between;
Through the storm I safely ride,
Till the turning of the tide.
 
Troubles almost 'whelm the soul;
Griefs like billows o'er me roll;
Tempters seek to lure astray;
Storms obscure the light of day:
But in Christ I can be bold,
I've an anchor that shall hold.
Heb 2:1-5  NLT
 
A Warning against Drifting Away
 
2 So we must listen very carefully to the truth we have heard, or we may drift away from it. 2 For the message God delivered through angels has always stood firm, and every violation of the law and every act of disobedience was punished. 3 So what makes us think we can escape if we ignore this great salvation that was first announced by the Lord Jesus himself and then delivered to us by those who heard him speak? 4 And God confirmed the message by giving signs and wonders and various miracles and gifts of the Holy Spirit whenever he chose.
 
 

No comments: