Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Verse of the Day 11/30

Through the Bible - Ezekiel 45-46, 1 John 2
 
Good morning,
Yesterday we considered the "thrill of hope" and that the fruit of hope is love.
Today' we'll go to John chapter 5 where Jesus tells us what it means to believe.

John 5:24-25 (Amplified Bible)  I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, the person whose ears are open to My words [who listens to My message] and believes and trusts in and clings to and relies on Him Who sent Me has (possesses now) eternal life. And he does not come into judgment [does not incur sentence of judgment, will not come under condemnation], but he has already passed over out of death into life.

25Believe Me when I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, the time is coming and is here now when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear it shall live.

Read these words again, "believes and trusts in and clings to and relies on Him", does that describe your faith?
 
John MacArthur writes that "saving faith consists of three elements, commonly referred to by the latin terms notitia, assensus, and fiduciaNoticia (knowledge) is the intellectual component of faith.  It involves an understanding of the basic biblical facts regarding salvation.  Assensus, (assent) goes one step beyond notitia and confidently affirms those facts to be true.  Fiducia (trust) act on them by personally appropriating Jesus Christ as the only hope for salvation."  MacArthur goes on to say that "in saving faith the entire person - the intellect (knowledge), the emotions (assent), and the will (trust) - embraces Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord."
 
May we all believe and trust in, cling to and rely on Him, as our greatest gift, as our Lord and Saviour day by day and in this season.
 
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

John 5:24-30 (New Living Translation)

 24 "I tell you the truth, those who listen to my message and believe in God who sent me have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from death into life.

 25 "And I assure you that the time is coming, indeed it's here now, when the dead will hear my voice—the voice of the Son of God. And those who listen will live. 26 The Father has life in himself, and he has granted that same life-giving power to his Son. 27 And he has given him authority to judge everyone because he is the Son of Man. 28 Don't be so surprised! Indeed, the time is coming when all the dead in their graves will hear the voice of God's Son, 29 and they will rise again. Those who have done good will rise to experience eternal life, and those who have continued in evil will rise to experience judgment. 30 I can do nothing on my own. I judge as God tells me. Therefore, my judgment is just, because I carry out the will of the one who sent me, not my own will.

No comments: