Sunday, July 1, 2012

Verse of the Day 7/1

Psalm 89:1 (NKJV)  I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever;
With my mouth will I make known Your faithfulness to all generations.
 
Yesterday I ended with a stanza from "Great is Thy Faithfulness".
 
Today's verse is another one that brings back a memory, a song, every time I read it.  It was a simple chorus to the exact same words as we have here in the NKJV.  It's a good verse, a good song to prepare our hearts for worship and to sing from the heart in an act of worship.  This worship is not to be a one day a week, a Sunday thing.
 
Donald Barnhouse wrote, "love that goes upward is worship; love that goes outward is affection; love that stoops is grace".  Jesus showed all of these facets of love in His life and ministry and as Christians, we are to show it in our lives as well.  In doing so our very lives are lives of worship.
 
Another "action song" we sang as kids went like this:
 
I'm in right, out-right, up-right, down-right happy all the time,
I'm in right, out-right, up-right, down-right happy all the time,
 
Since Jesus Christ came in, and cleansed my heart from sin,
I'm in right, out-right, up-right, down-right happy all the time!
 
It's not easy, you might think that it is impossible to be happy all the time.  But I can think of a few people that come close.  There is joy, there is peace, there is hope in the midst of, through and beyond their  trials thanks to the mercies of the Lord.   Our son Jeff is one of those people.  Another person that came to mind posted the following verse on facebook today:
 
2 Corinthians 7:6 (AMP) But God, Who comforts and encourages and refreshes and cheers the depressed and the sinking, comforted and encouraged and refreshed and cheered us
 
That kind of attitude goes upward in praise and worship, goes outward in helping others, and stoops to help those who can't help themselves.  If we've been refreshed and cheered by someone, may we sing of the mercies of the Lord and make an effort to do the same for someone else
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Psalm 89The Message (MSG)
 
 1-4 Your love, God, is my song, and I'll sing it! I'm forever telling everyone how faithful you are.
   I'll never quit telling the story of your love—

      how you built the cosmos
      and guaranteed everything in it.
   Your love has always been our lives' foundation,
      your fidelity has been the roof over our world.
   You once said, "I joined forces with my chosen leader,
      I pledged my word to my servant, David, saying,
   'Everyone descending from you is guaranteed life;
      I'll make your rule as solid and lasting as rock.'"
 
 5-18 God! Let the cosmos praise your wonderful ways,
      the choir of holy angels sing anthems to your faithful ways!
   Search high and low, scan skies and land,
      you'll find nothing and no one quite like God.

No comments: