Saturday, July 21, 2012

Verse of the Day 7/21

1 Timothy 1:16 (NCV) But I was given mercy so that in me, the worst of all sinners, Christ Jesus could show that he has patience without limit. His patience with me made me an example for those who would believe in him and have life forever.
 
In this passage Paul takes us to the heart of the "good news", the gospel, that there is salvation for sinners, even the worst.  When Paul mentions the worst, he is not looking down at others he is looking within himself, his past, his nature.  When you read through this passage you should be amazed, as Paul was, at what God has in store for someone like him, like us.  Take a look at the words Paul uses to describe what he has experienced - God's mercy, grace, faith , love, and patience. Not only that but think about Paul's life and the circumstances that he has been through, stoning, shipwreck, spending time in prison, his thorn in the flesh and constantly being under personal attack.
 
Paul had been "zealous" for God in his own power when as Saul he had persecuted the very people that he now serves.  God chose to show patience toward him that all might see it.   Commentator Dick France writes "you could hardly have a more convincing testimony to God's love and power than this "poacher" turned "gamekeeper".  Its a remarkable statement worthy of some thought.  Picture a big game hunter out for trophies who becomes the biggest proponent for conservation and the welfare of the animals that he used to hunt.  It is an example of what the power of Christ did in him and what he can do in us if we are willing to let him transform us.
 
Fill thou my life, O Lord God,
in every part with praise;
that my whole being may proclaim
thy being and thy ways.   - Horatius Bonar
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

1 Timothy 1:12-17
New Century Version (NCV)
 
 Thanks for God's Mercy
 12 I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who gave me strength, because he trusted me and gave me this work of serving him.13 In the past I spoke against Christ and persecuted him and did all kinds of things to hurt him. But God showed me mercy, because I did not know what I was doing. I did not believe.14 But the grace of our Lord was fully given to me, and with that grace came the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.
 15 What I say is true, and you should fully accept it: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the worst.16 But I was given mercy so that in me, the worst of all sinners, Christ Jesus could show that he has patience without limit. His patience with me made me an example for those who would believe in him and have life forever.17 To the King that rules forever, who will never die, who cannot be seen, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

No comments: