Friday, July 13, 2012

Verse of the Day 7/13

Verse of the Day 7/13
 
2 Chronicles 20:17(HCSB)  You do not have to fight this battle. Position yourselves, stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord. He is with you, Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid or discouraged. Tomorrow, go out to face them, for Yahweh is with you.'"
 
Yesterday's verse told us that in Christ "we are overcomers" and that we all, as Christians, have God, have Jesus for us, with us in all our trials and struggles.
 
Today's verse spoke to me in relation to this.  The verse ends with Yahweh, the LORD is with us.  He is with us and goes before us.  The key question is are we "positioning" ourselves with Him?  It involves seeking Him in prayer, waiting expectantly on Him, and doing what He calls us to do.
 
Spurgeon's evening devotional verse for last night was Psalm 56:9  "When I cry unto thee, then shall mine enemies turn back: this I know; for God is for me."  Spurgeon writes about what this meant to him and means for us : "He has been "for us" in many struggles; we have been summoned to encounter hosts of dangers; we have been assailed by temptations from without and within--how could we have remained unharmed to this hour if he had not been "for us"? He is "for us," with all the infinity of his being; with all the omnipotence of his love; with all the infallibility of his wisdom; arrayed in all his divine attributes, he is "for us,"--eternally and immutably "for us"; "for us" when yon blue skies shall be rolled up like a worn out vesture; "for us" throughout eternity. And because he is "for us," the voice of prayer will always ensure his help."
 
He has been for us and with us in the past.  He promises to be with us today in our struggles.  Will we position ourselves with Him in the battle?
 
"Jesus, lover of my soul,
 Let me to Thy bosom fly,
 While the nearer waters roll,
 While the tempest still is high.
 
 Hide me, O my Savior, hide,
 Till the storm of life is past;
 Safe into the haven guide;
 Oh, receive my soul at last.
 
 Other refuge have I none,
 Hangs my helpless soul on Thee;
 Leave, ah! leave me not alone,
 Still support and comfort me.
 
 All my trust on Thee is stayed,
 All my help from Thee I bring;
 Cover my defenseless head
 With the shadow of Thy wing."  Charles Wesley
 
In Christ,,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
2 Chronicles 20:14-17  The Message (MSG)
 14-17 Then Jahaziel was moved by the Spirit of God to speak from the midst of the congregation. (Jahaziel was the son of Zechariah, the son of Benaiah, the son of Jeiel, the son of Mattaniah the Levite of the Asaph clan.) He said, "Attention everyone—all of you from out of town, all you from Jerusalem, and you King Jehoshaphat—God's word: Don't be afraid; don't pay any mind to this vandal horde. This is God's war, not yours. Tomorrow you'll go after them; see, they're already on their way up the slopes of Ziz; you'll meet them at the end of the ravine near the wilderness of Jeruel. You won't have to lift a hand in this battle; just stand firm, Judah and Jerusalem, and watch God's saving work for you take shape. Don't be afraid, don't waver. March out boldly tomorrow—God is with you."

No comments: