Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Verse of the Day 11/11

Verse of the Day 11/11
 
Hebrews 4:12  For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.  English Standard Version (ESV)

Over the weekend the read through the Bible plan brought me to Hebrews 4 where we find today's verse.  It is one of my favorites.  The ESV says that the word of God is "living and active".  Other translations say living and effective as well as living and powerful, all are true descriptions.  If this is true in our lives, it should beg the question how is it and how has it been effective in my life?

Right now I'm engaged in three different books of the New Testament, they are three of my favorite books.  I'm studying John for our men's Bible study, it is where we read in John 3:16 "for God so loved the world that He gave us His only begotten son".  The read through the Bible plan is currently in Hebrews where in chapter 11 we have the "Hall of Faith" which starts out be saying "faith is the evidence of things hoped for and the substance of things to come", it has been an anchor for me starting on the most difficult, trying experience of my life.  Ligonier Ministries "Tabletalk" devotional has been taking the year to go through the book of Romans where in verse 8:28 we read that "all things work together for God for those who love God and are called according to His purpose."  I spent the two years after Jeff's accident studying Romans coming to grips with, accepting and holding onto that verse.  It was with the help of John Piper and Martyn Lloyd-Jones.

How is God's word living and active?  It has shaped, molded, strengthened, comforted and challenged me and it is in my heart and mind.  I carry it with me every day of my life and i will do so through eternity.  My hope is that the same can be said for everyone reading this today.

Read the passage from The Message (below) or from your favorite translation and consider how God's Word is and has been "living and active" in your life,

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com
 

Hebrews 4:11-13The Message (MSG)

8-11 And so this is still a live promise. It wasn't canceled at the time of Joshua; otherwise, God wouldn't keep renewing the appointment for "today." The promise of "arrival" and "rest" is still there for God's people. God himself is at rest. And at the end of the journey we'll surely rest with God. So let's keep at it and eventually arrive at the place of rest, not drop out through some sort of disobedience.
12-13 God means what he says. What he says goes. His powerful Word is sharp as a surgeon's scalpel, cutting through everything, whether doubt or defense, laying us open to listen and obey. Nothing and no one is impervious to God's Word. We can't get away from it—no matter what.

No comments: