Friday, November 14, 2014

Verse of the Day 11/14

 
Ezekiel 37:27-28  My dwelling place shall be with them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 28 Then the nations will know that I am the Lord who sanctifies Israel, when my sanctuary is in their midst forevermore."  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
May daily Bible reading for today brought me to Ezekiel 37 and Hebrews 10.  Today's verse is quoted by Paul in 2 Corinthians 6:16 in addressing the people then.  The message can still be proclaimed today.  The passage in Hebrews 10  talks about drawing near to God with a true heart and in full assurance of faith.  That is a picture of how The Message begins this passage in Ezekiel 37 below, starting with verse 24 - "they'll follow my laws and keep my statutes".
 
John Piper writes, "The command we are given in this passage is to draw near to God. The great aim of this writer is that we get near God, that we have fellowship with him, that we not settle for a Christian life at a distance from God....This drawing near is not a physical act. It's not building a tower of Babel by your achievements to get to heaven. It's not necessarily going to a church building. Or walking to an altar at the front. It is an invisible act of the heart. You can do it while standing absolutely still, or while lying in a hospital bed, or on the train as you commute to work. John Piper
Many, too  many, in the church today are quite happy to "settle for a Christian life at a distance from God".  They will get there occasional "fix" when they feel they need it, but it is not drawing near continually day by day.  When God's people have His Spirit dwelling in them, people, even nations will take notice, for His glory.
 
Ancient words that still ring true today.

Holy words long preserved
For our walk in this world
They resound with God's own heart
Oh, let the ancient words impart

Words of Life, words of Hope
Give us strength, help us cope
In this world, where e'er we roam
Ancient words will guide us home

Chorus
Ancient words ever true
Changing me and changing you
We have come with open hearts
Oh, let the ancient words impart

("Ancient Words" was written by Freeman, Ronnie C. Jr. / Wood, Tony W.) recorded by Michael W. Smith

In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

 

Ezekiel 37:27-28The Message (MSG)

24-27 "'They'll follow my laws and keep my statutes. They'll live in the same land I gave my servant Jacob, the land where your ancestors lived. They and their children and their grandchildren will live there forever, and my servant David will be their prince forever. I'll make a covenant of peace with them that will hold everything together, an everlasting covenant. I'll make them secure and place my holy place of worship at the center of their lives forever. I'll live right there with them. I'll be their God! They'll be my people!

28 "'The nations will realize that I, God, make Israel holy when my holy place of worship is established at the center of their lives forever.'"

No comments: