Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Verse of the Day 11/19

 
Psalm 5:3  O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice;
    in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for you[a] and watch.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Yesterday we considered how we can prevent ourselves from falling into a spiritual lapse by putting on the full armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-18).  As I read today's verse in my devotions I couldn't help but think back to that passage in Ephesians.  The verse is a picture of "putting that armor on".  The Psalmist is praying and seeking God, preparing his heart and mind, preparing to live for God sacrificially and then being watchful for what God has for him to do.
 
Oftentimes in our lives we may not be sure of what it is that God would want us to do.  I remember going through Henry Blackaby's "Experiencing God" years ago.  His advice had to do with this watching.  In a nutshell, he said that if you are unsure of what God would have you to do, look and see where God is at work around you and join in.
 
As we prepare to start our day, may we put on our armor and watch and see where God is at work in our lives and join in.
 
My read through the Bible plan this morning brought me to Hebrews 13, I'll close with the benediction from the book of Hebrews.  May we "do His will" through the Spirit working in us.  To God be the glory.
 

Hebrews 13:20-21 (ESV)Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, 21 equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us[a] that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.  English Standard Version

In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

 

Psalm 5:3The Message (MSG)

A David Psalm

1-3 Listen, God! Please, pay attention!
Can you make sense of these ramblings,
my groans and cries?
    King-God, I need your help.
Every morning
    you'll hear me at it again.
Every morning
    I lay out the pieces of my life
    on your altar
    and watch for fire to descend.

No comments: