Thursday, November 13, 2014

Verse of the Day 11/13

Verse of the Day 11/13
 
Proverbs 15:13A happy heart makes the face cheerful,
    but heartache crushes the spirit.   New International Version (NIV)
 
As I read this  verse in my personal  devotions this morning I couldn't help but think of my  son Jeff.   Disabled and in a wheel chair for almost half of his liffe from a TBI suffered in a car accident, he is still about the happiest person that I know.  I don't know if you can be around him for more than an hour (probably much less) without seeing him smile, laugh or yell woo hoo!.  It is because underneath that smile resides a happy heart.  If you ask him why he has that smile and always seems to be happy he might answer you that it is because "I have the peace that passes understanding".
 
Being in a wheelchair all his days might easily be able to "crush someone's spirit" if we allow it to.  If we are to get rid of bitterness in our situations it must be replaced by something else.  It is not just put on a happy face, rather it must stem from a happy heart, one that has Jesus in it.
 
I am reminded of a song that I remember singing over and over in my childhood.  Others reading this will remember it too. May we have happiness, "real joy" in our hearts no matter if the teardrops start knowing that we are on a trip that leads to heaven.
 
"Happiness Is The Lord"
By Ira Stanphill

Happiness is to know the Savior, 
Living a life within His favor
Having a change in my behavior, 
Happiness is the Lord

Happiness is a new creation, 
Jesus and me in close relation
Having a part in His salvation, 
Happiness is the Lord

Real joy is mine,
no matter if teardrops start
I've found the secret 
It's Jesus in my heart
Happiness is to be forgiven, 
Living a life that's worth the livin'
Taking a trip that leads to heaven,
Happiness is the Lord
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

 

Proverbs 15:12-14The Message (MSG)

Life Ascends to the Heights

12 Know-it-alls don't like being told what to do;
    they avoid the company of wise men and women.

13 A cheerful heart brings a smile to your face;
    a sad heart makes it hard to get through the day.

14 An intelligent person is always eager to take in more truth;
    fools feed on fast-food fads and fancies.

No comments: