Sunday, November 2, 2014

Verse of the Day 11/2

Verse of the Day 11/2
 
Psalm 34:4-5 I sought the Lord, and he answered me
    and delivered me from all my fears.
5 Those who look to him are radiant,
    and their faces shall never be ashamed.  English Standard Version (ESV) 
 
Yesterday was "All Saints Day" and many churches will be honoring and remembering those who have gone to be with their Lord Jesus over the past year.  I read today's verses in a devotional yesterday. The devotional didn't address verse 5 and I thought that we'd consider it today.
 
Quite often when we go to a memorial service and see pictures of those whom we are remembering they may go back to a time when they were younger and healthier.  The pictures chosen often show them as being happy, sometimes radiant.  It is a good way to remember people.  But for those who know Jesus as their Savior, their faces now and forevermore will be radiant as they are in the presence of Jesus.  We still miss them, but it is good to remember them in this light, or should I say in the light of the Savior.
 
My wife Jean has a picture a a dear friend, who passed away not quite a year ago  posted in our kitchen.  Taken in the final days of her life, her face is radiant.  I can't help but think that I was because she was with her family and she knew deep down that she would see Jesus face and one day share that experience with her family.  We miss you Sandy!
 
We may be facing difficult times ourselves today.  May we do as indicated in verse 4 and seek the Lord, knowing that He will answer me, He will deliver me from our fears now and our Redeemer and Deliverer will one day bring us all to the Father.  May our faces be radiant with the thought.
 
Read the passage below.  If you've lost a loved one recently, may these words comfort and strengthen you today as you remember and honor them.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Psalm 34:3-8English Standard Version (ESV)

Oh, magnify the Lord with me,
    and let us exalt his name together!

I sought the Lord, and he answered me
    and delivered me from all my fears.
Those who look to him are radiant,
    and their faces shall never be ashamed.
This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him
    and saved him out of all his troubles.
The angel of the Lord encamps
    around those who fear him, and delivers them.

Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good!
    Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!

No comments: