Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Verse of the Day 12/2


John 14:12-13  "Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. 13 Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.  English Standard Version (ESV)

In today's verses there are a couple of things that should draw our attention.  Many, if not most may focus on the "whatever you ask in my name I will do".  But I'd like to back up to the starters.  Verse 12 is another of the "truly, truly" or " I tell you the truth" statements that should naturally draw our attention.  These are always teaching moments.  From there He goes to another frequent statement that acts as a qualifier for what is to follow, "whoever believes in me".

John Piper writes, "We have seen this exact phrase before: "Whoever believes in me."

  • "Whoever believes in me shall never thirst." (John 6:35)
  • "Whoever believes in me . . . 'Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'" (John 7:38)
  • "Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live." (John 11:25)
  • "Whoever believes in me will not remain in darkness." (John 12:46)

In other words, this is normal Christianity. This is what it means to be a Christian. Believing on Jesus is what unites you to him for eternal life. So when it says, Whoever believes in Jesus will do this or that, it is describing the normal Christian life."

We can also look at the "greater works than these" which many believe reference to His miracles.  But when it comes down to it the greatest things that He has done have been giving of himself, coming into our world, living, loving, caring and forgiving.  Perhaps the greatest example of the greater works is the forgiveness that He offered while on the cross, both to those who had delivered him to be crucified "Father forgive them for they know not what they do" and also to the thief beside him who sought forgiveness to whom He said, "today, you shall be with me in paradise."  When we ask things in Jesus name they too should be things that will bring glory to the Father.  Instead of material things, we should be seeking, praying for His grace, mercy,  compassion and ability to forgive, that from our hearts may flow "rivers of living water" (John 7:38).

From now on, whatever you request along the lines of who I am and what I am doing, I'll do it. That's how the Father will be seen for who he is in the Son. I mean it. Whatever you request in this way, I'll do.  (The Message)

Matthew 7:7 "Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you.

New Living Translation (NLT)

May we "keep on asking, keep on seeking, and keep on knocking" in this way.
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

John 14:12-14The Message (MSG)

11-14 "Believe me: I am in my Father and my Father is in me. If you can't believe that, believe what you see—these works. The person who trusts me will not only do what I'm doing but even greater things, because I, on my way to the Father, am giving you the same work to do that I've been doing. You can count on it. From now on, whatever you request along the lines of who I am and what I am doing, I'll do it. That's how the Father will be seen for who he is in the Son. I mean it. Whatever you request in this way, I'll do.

  

No comments: