Thursday, December 31, 2015

Verse of the Day 12/31


Jeremiah 29:11-12  For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. English Standard Version (ESV)

We've been considering what it means that Immanuel, God is with us, means to us.  Today, as we close out the old year and prepare to ring in the new one, we should be reminded by today's verses that God has a plan for us. Being the last day of the year it is a time when we naturally look back, but we shouldn't spend too much time dwelling on it. Hopefully, we've learned from our experiences and are ready to move on, move forward into the coming year.

For the Christian that means following Jesus and doing it more closely.  The new year may be a time when you decide to do a read through the Bible plan. I'd suggest one that has daily Old Testament and  New Testament  readings.  If you do so, most New Testament plans will begin in Matthew  where you will read first of Jesus life and ministry.  At the end of the year of following, some time of reflecting is helpful as J. R. Miller does below:

"We have seen Jesus in all the different phases of His life. We have heard many of His words. Now it remains only for us to follow Him. The outcome of seeing and knowing Jesus--should be holy living and doing. The last day of the year suggests also the same duty.

Who is satisfied with his life as it appears in retrospect? The past, however blotted, must go as it is; we cannot change it, and we need not waste time in regretting. But the new year is before us, and if we would make that better than the stained past, it must be by following Christ more closely.

To follow Christ is to go where He leads--without questioning or murmuring. It may be to a life of trial, suffering, or sacrifice--but it does not matter; we have nothing whatever to do with the kind of life to which our Lord calls us."

As the prophet stated in verse 12, "then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you".  May our prayer be something like this as we prepare for tomorrow and  the new year.

Day by day, day by day
Oh, dear Lord, three things I pray

To see thee more clearly
Love thee more dearly
Follow thee more nearly, day by day  - Godspell

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Jeremiah 29:11-12The Message (MSG)

10-11 This is God's Word on the subject: "As soon as Babylon's seventy years are up and not a day before, I'll show up and take care of you as I promised and bring you back home. I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.

12 "When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I'll listen.

  

No comments: