Sunday, December 20, 2015

Verse of the Day 12/20

Psalm 63:7-8 Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.

My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me.   King James Version (KJV)

Today's verses may not appear to be Christmas or Advent verses, but as I read these verse, from the King James Version today two words jumped  out at me - "followeth hard".  Having just considered the journey of the wise men it was fitting.  The journey for them could not have been easy, no air conditioned car, no coolers full of refreshments, I'm sure that that provisions were not what they would have had "back home".  It is the picture of following hard.  In their case, they hadn't met the Christ child yet but were being driven by something in side of them.

Many this Christmas will be searching for peace, most will be searching for love, others will be searching for hope.  The hopes and fears of all the years are met in Jesus.  Others have found Jesus but the following will still take perseverance.  The journey may get tough, but the challenge and the call is to follow, to draw near to God in this season and in all seasons of life.

Another hymn came to mind, not necessarily a Christmas hymn, but Christmas is a time when "God came near" and at this time we should be drawing near to Him.

1. There is a place of quiet rest, 
near to the heart of God; 
a place where sin cannot molest, 
near to the heart of God. 
Refrain: 
O Jesus, blest Redeemer, 
sent from the heart of God, 
hold us who wait before thee 
near to the heart of God. 

2. There is a place of comfort sweet, 
near to the heart of God; 
a place where we our Savior meet, 
near to the heart of God. 

If we are looking for a place of rest, of comfort, of peace, of joy this Christmas, may we find it in Jesus.  May we bring others along on the journey.  It will come  to those who will "follow hard  after God".

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 63Contemporary English Version (CEV)

(A psalm by David when he was in the desert of Judah.)

God's Love Means More than Life

63 You are my God. I worship you.
    In my heart, I long for you,
    as I would long for a stream
    in a scorching desert.

I have seen your power
and your glory
    in the place of worship.
Your love means more
than life to me,
    and I praise you.
As long as I live,
    I will pray to you.
I will sing joyful praises
and be filled with excitement
    like a guest at a banquet.

I think about you
    before I go to sleep,
    and my thoughts turn to you
    during the night.
You have helped me,
    and I sing happy songs
    in the shadow of your wings.
I stay close to you,
    and your powerful arm
    supports me.

All who want to kill me
    will end up in the ground.
10 Swords will run them through,
    and wild dogs will eat them.

11 Because of you, our God,
    the king will celebrate
with your faithful followers,
    but liars will be silent.

  

No comments: