Saturday, December 5, 2015

Verse of the Day 12/5


Psalm 37:7-8 Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him;

    fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way,
    over the man who carries out evil devices!

Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath!
    Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil.   English Standard Version (ESV)

Psalm 37 is a passage that I've referred to many times  in these devotionals over the years, most likely because I tend to fret, to worry about thinks that I really have no control over.  Such was the case yesterday when I read a devotional that looked at the psalm and today as I go back to it again.  The responsibilities in life can wake us up, keep us from sleep and put knots in our stomachs and give us headaches all day.

It may help to think of the author of this psalm, David and the things that he could have and obviously did fret about in his life.  While tending sheep he could have fretted about the dangers of wild animals he'd have to fend off while tending sheep.  Later he had to worry about king Saul and his temper to the point where he feared for his life.  Later he would have to fear God and repent over his sin.  He would fret about strained relationships with sons.  So when he tells us to "fret not" we should take notice.  David learned and had to relearn this lesson.

When we worry, when we fret, we tend to be easily angered, and my fly of at the mouth to people who don't deserve it, especially our spouses or kids.  The Message paraphrase has good advice for us in verse 8:

"Bridle your anger, trash your wrath,   cool your pipes—it only makes things worse."  The Message.  Don't fret, keep your head, keep your cool and quiet down before the Lord.  He's got a handle on the situation even if you don't, especially when you don't.

In my daily reading through the Psalms I ended my devotions yesterday in Psalm 139 and these last verses of that Psalm.  God is in control.


Psalm 139:23-24Search me, O God, and know my heart!

    Try me and know my thoughts![
24 And see if there be any grievous way in me,
    and lead me in the way everlasting! English Standard Version (ESV)

  1. Search me, O God, and know my heart today,
    Try me, O Savior, know my thoughts, I pray;
    See if there be some wicked way in me;
    Cleanse me from every sin, and set me free. - James Orr

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 37:7-9The Message (MSG)

Quiet down before God,
    be prayerful before him.
Don't bother with those who climb the ladder,
    who elbow their way to the top.

8-9 Bridle your anger, trash your wrath,
    cool your pipes—it only makes things worse.
Before long the crooks will be bankrupt;
    God-investors will soon own the store.

  

No comments: