Sunday, December 6, 2015

Verse of the Day 12/6


Psalm 51:12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,

    and uphold me with a willing spirit.    English Standard Version (ESV)

Last night Steven Curtis Chapman held a Christmas concert at our church last night and the theme was the Joy of Christmas.  He and his daughter in law Jillian Edwards sang songs of hope, wonder and praise surrounding Christmas.  In a time when there is chaos and terror going on around us it was good to focus on the blessings of God and the greatest blessing the gift of Jesus and the salvation he brings.

Steven Curtis Chapman has been a favorite Christian artist of mine for decades.  On of his earlier songs that struck me was "Still Listening".  It had powerful meaning to me in a challenging time in my life.  It is not about Christmas, but it was about prayer and remembering our thoughts and prayers to God offered in the faith of a child.

The years can take us far away
From the simple child like faith
But I am longing to return
To the place where I first learned
That God is great, and God is good
So, I will speak the words

[Chorus:]
God, our Father, once again
I bow my head to pray
You are my Father and my friend, and You hear every word I say
A prayer for forgiveness, A desperate cry for help
Or praise flowing from a thankful heart
Like each time before, I come knowing You're still listening


The years can take us away from a child like faith as we let the stresses of life, illness, strained relationships and disappointments get between us and God.  This psalm was written at a time when David had fallen far from God.  But he longed  to return to God and he called out to God to "God, make a fresh start in me, shape a Genesis week from the chaos of my life."  God honored that prayer and restored the relationship.  It didn't happen automatically or by chance.  David had to pray it from a repentant heart.

If Christmas has lost some of it's joy, it's wonder, it's hope for you or a loved one.  Maybe God's Word is calling you to return, to do a Genesis work in your heart to bring the wonder the joy, peace and hope back to you in this season.  One thing I can tell you, if you'll say the words, He is still listening.

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 51:12-15The Message (MSG)

7-15 Soak me in your laundry and I'll come out clean,
    scrub me and I'll have a snow-white life.
Tune me in to foot-tapping songs,
    set these once-broken bones to dancing.
Don't look too close for blemishes,
    give me a clean bill of health.
God, make a fresh start in me,
    shape a Genesis week from the chaos of my life.
Don't throw me out with the trash,
    or fail to breathe holiness in me.
Bring me back from gray exile,
    put a fresh wind in my sails!
Give me a job teaching rebels your ways
    so the lost can find their way home.
Commute my death sentence, God, my salvation God,
    and I'll sing anthems to your life-giving ways.
Unbutton my lips, dear God;
    I'll let loose with your praise.

  

No comments: