Sunday, May 1, 2016

Verse of the Day 5/1

Verse of the Day 5/1

Psalm 119:18-19 Open my eyes, that I may behold

    wondrous things out of your law.
19 I am a sojourner on the earth;
    hide not your commandments from me!  English Standard Version (ESV)

I mentioned the other day that as I read through the Psalms that I like to "camp out" for several days and read through that great chapter slowly so that God would continue to teach wonderful things from His Word.

Today's verses start with a cry out to God, a prayer to "open my eyes that I may behold wondrous things" from the Word.  We often start Bible studies with a prayer to clear our minds from the distractions of the world and  the day and to be able to open our hearts and minds  to receive what the passage has to say to us that day.  We should have the same  attitude, offer the same prayer any time we pick up the Bible, God's Word, His Message to us.

John Newton, the former slave trader who was converted and went on to write "Amazing Grace", writes, "We learn more, and more effectually, by one minute's communication with God through the medium of His written Word, than we could from an assembly of theologians, or a library of book."  God opened John Newton's eyes to the horrors and realities of the slave trade, changed his heart and enabled him  to write the remarkable words of Amazing Grace that saved a "wretch like me".

We may all appreciate great preachers and Bible teachers but none of them can replace time spent in the Word  itself, on a daily basis.  When Newton's eyes were opened he saw who he was, he saw what slavery was and sought to bring about change because of it.  The psalmist, like Newton felt that they were "sojourners" on earth, living here on earth while truly belonging to and longing for the kingdom of God.

The song that we sang in Sunday school when I was a child comes to mind and it is just as true, actually truer today than it was back then.  David, Paul, John Newton and countless others have this same feeling as sojourners seeking direction from God, calling on Him to open there eyes so that He may lead them while we live here below.

This world is not my home
I'm just a-passing through
My treasures are laid up
Somewhere beyond the blue.
The angels beckon me
From heaven's open door
And I can't feel at home
In this world anymore.
Oh Lord, you know
I have no friend like you
If heaven's not my home
Then Lord what will I do.  (Jim Reeves)






I mentioned the other day that as I read through the Psalms that I like to "camp out" for several days to read through that great chapter of    --   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 119:18-24The Message (MSG)

17-24 Be generous with me and I'll live a full life;
    not for a minute will I take my eyes off your road.
Open my eyes so I can see
    what you show me of your miracle-wonders.
I'm a stranger in these parts;
    give me clear directions.
My soul is starved and hungry, ravenous!—
    insatiable for your nourishing commands.
And those who think they know so much,
    ignoring everything you tell them—let them have it!
Don't let them mock and humiliate me;
    I've been careful to do just what you said.
While bad neighbors maliciously gossip about me,
    I'm absorbed in pondering your wise counsel.
Yes, your sayings on life are what give me delight;
    I listen to them as to good neighbors!

  

No comments: