Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Verse of the Day 5/4

 
Psalm 119:92-93   If your law had not been my delight,
    I would have perished in my affliction.
93 I will never forget your precepts,
    for by them you have given me life.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
For today's verses we'll continue our trek through Psalm 119.  These verses are more than a reflection of the psalmist, they are a reality, he realizes how important God's word has been to him and will be for the rest of his life.
 
I learned many of the verses that I have memorized as a child in Sunday School and in AWANA Clubs.  At the time I must admit that I did not delight in them.  In AWANA clubs memorization gained you an advantage for your team in the games we played and you could win awards for passing books.  Looking back I am so glad I did.  Looking back in times of trial and trouble in my life various passages would come back to me and when my faith was challenged seemingly to the brink, His Word, those verses learned from childhood on had held, they weren't forgotten and they encouraged and challenged me.
 
At one point in His ministry, many were turning away from following Jesus, it had become too difficult for them.  Jesus confronted the disciples with a question to the 12, "are you going to leave me too"?  Peter's answer was:
 

John 6:68   Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life,"  The question and the answer came to me at a critical moment, and my response was the same as Peters.  The world doesn't have anything to offer that can satisfy, meet our needs or give us hope in times of trouble. 

 

My hope is that we will never forget what we have learned, those words, those "precepts" and that we will realize that they have given us, are giving us, and will give us life, now and forevermore.  May we continue to grow in and expand our grounding in His Word.

 

Blessings,

Mike

 
 
 
Psalm 119:92-96The Message (MSG)
89-96 What you say goes, God,
    and stays, as permanent as the heavens.
Your truth never goes out of fashion;
    it's as up-to-date as the earth when the sun comes up.
Your Word and truth are dependable as ever;
    that's what you ordered—you set the earth going.
If your revelation hadn't delighted me so,
    I would have given up when the hard times came.
But I'll never forget the advice you gave me;
    you saved my life with those wise words.
Save me! I'm all yours.
    I look high and low for your words of wisdom.
The wicked lie in ambush to destroy me,
    but I'm only concerned with your plans for me.
I see the limits to everything human,
    but the horizons can't contain your commands!
 
 Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: