Friday, May 6, 2016

Verse of the Day 5/6


Psalm 119:114You are my hiding place and my shield;

    I hope in your word.  English Standard Version (ESV)

  
A hiding place as referred to in today's verse can be a place of retreat and security, away from the reach and influence of the enemy.  Reference to "my shield" should remind us of the full armor of God and the shield of faith as mentioned in Ephesians 6:16 which "can extinguish the flaming darts of the evil one".  That "hiding place" that place that the psalmist goes to in those times is in the Word of God.  In it, in God's promises he finds hope.

As we seek Him, He will speak to us through His Word in that still small voice of His Spirit (1 Kings 19:9-18), offering protection from the onslaught, those flaming arrows.  David had been known to escape to caves when Saul was in hot pursuit of him.  However, the caves themselves were not where David found security, a hiding place.  The true hiding place was in His Word and promises therein.  The psalmist's desire is that those promises  will "hold him up", see verse 17, not just for a moment  or occasionally, but continually. 

Psalm 119:117Hold me up, that I may be safe and have regard for your statutes continually!   English Standard Version (ESV)

That is the life of faith, depending on God and trusting in His Word.

I'm not asking you to take away my troubles, Lord
'Cause it's through the stormy weather I learn to trust You more
And I thank You for Your promise I have come to know
Your unfailing love surrounds me when I need it most

You're my hiding place, safe in Your embrace
I'm protected from the storm that rages
When the waters rise, and I run to hide
Lord, in You I find my hiding place    (Hiding Place - Steven Curtis Chapman)

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 119:114-120The Message (MSG)

113-120 I hate the two-faced,
    but I love your clear-cut revelation.
You're my place of quiet retreat;
    I wait for your Word to renew me.
Get out of my life, evildoers,
    so I can keep my God's commands.
Take my side as you promised; I'll live then for sure.
    Don't disappoint all my grand hopes.
Stick with me and I'll be all right;
    I'll give total allegiance to your definitions of life.
Expose all who drift away from your sayings;
    their casual idolatry is lethal.
You reject earth's wicked as so much rubbish;
    therefore I lovingly embrace everything you say.
I shiver in awe before you;
    your decisions leave me speechless with reverence.

  

No comments: