Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Verse of the Day 5/3

Psalm 119:59-60 When I think on my ways,

    I turn my feet to your testimonies;
60 I hasten and do not delay
    to keep your commandments.

English Standard Version (ESV)

  
For today's verses we'll return to Psalm 119, it is another passage that is easy to relate to.  It starts with "when I think on my ways".  How often do we go through life going through motions, the day to day without giving it much thought.  From the time that we get up until the time we go to bed it can be like we are on autopilot, only God is not the pilot.

Sometimes we will stop and think about our ways.  If we are in God's Word, it will cause us to "think on our ways".  How  does my life line up with scripture with Jesus words and life.  Think of that great sermon on the mount in Matthew  chapters 5-7, if you are reading those words, you will think of His ways, we will see how we measure up and fall short, which should cause us to turn to "His ways".

That is the attitude of the psalmist.  While we may come across something that challenges us we may think, "I'll have to work on that" without making a turn, an immediate course of action.  The psalmist "hastens" to His commandments.  To hasten is to be quick to do something, without delay.  May that be our attitude when the Bible points out some corrective action necessary in our lives, may we hasten to Him, being quick to do it.

I am resolved no longer to linger,
Charmed by the world's delight,
Things that are higher, things that are nobler,
These have allured my sight.

Refrain

I will hasten to Him, hasten so glad and free;
Jesus, greatest, highest, I will come to Thee.
I will hasten, hasten to Him, hasten so glad and free;
Jesus, Jesus, greatest, highest, I will come to Thee.

I am resolved to follow the Savior,
Faithful and true each day;
Heed what He sayeth, do what He willeth,
He is the living way.

When I took a long, careful look at your ways,
    I got my feet back on the trail you blazed.
I was up at once, didn't drag my feet,
    was quick to follow your orders.   Psalm 119:69-60  The Message
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 119:59-64The Message (MSG)

57-64 Because you have satisfied me, God, I promise
    to do everything you say.
I beg you from the bottom of my heart: smile,
    be gracious to me just as you promised.
When I took a long, careful look at your ways,
    I got my feet back on the trail you blazed.
I was up at once, didn't drag my feet,
    was quick to follow your orders.
The wicked hemmed me in—there was no way out—
    but not for a minute did I forget your plan for me.
I get up in the middle of the night to thank you;
    your decisions are so right, so true—I can't wait till morning!
I'm a friend and companion of all who fear you,
    of those committed to living by your rules.
Your love, God, fills the earth!
    Train me to live by your counsel.

  

No comments: