Saturday, May 7, 2016

Verse of the Day 5/7

Psalm 119:132-133 Look upon me and be merciful to me,

As Your custom is toward those who love Your name.
133 Direct my steps by Your word,
And let no iniquity have dominion over me.  New King James Version (NKJV)

Occasionally when I'm driving I'll listen to Christian financial advisor Dave Ramsey on the radio, I never get tired of hearing him say, when someone asks him how  he's doing, "better than I deserve".  That came to mind this morning as I read these verses from Psalm 119.  We don't deserve God's mercy, we cannot earn it, but we should seek as we seek His forgiveness.  Our sins are always be before us, God knows about them and He is willing to forgive.  In the ESV it is stated as "be gracious to me."

The second line draws attention to the fact that "God is towards us", He is not looking away, but looking after us.  I think of the time when the disciples had gotten into a boat to cross the sea at night.  Jesus went up on a hill to pray but was watching over them from a distance.  When the winds became "contrary", against them, He met them where they were, walked on water to get to them and calm their fears.  As the verse says, that is His custom, the way He is.

Verse 33 starts out with a prayer for God to "direct my steps".  It is often a prayer that I've used in praying to close a Bible study, to direct our steps and guide  us as we go out.  It is a prayer that should be asked day by day in every season of life.

The second line of verse 33 reveals a heart that is open and honest.  It realizes that we are prone to wander.  We each have weaknesses, temptations that can lead to sin, ones that can take control of us if we're not careful,  not aware or mindful of the weakness and the need for help.  The NLT says "so that I will not be overcome".

May we be those that offer the prayer of today's verses, seek His mercy, His guidance and that we won't be overcome by the challenges and temptations that the world  throws at us.  Read the passage below from The Message.  Let it speak to you and guide you today.

Break open your words, let the light shine out,
    let ordinary people see the meaning. Psalm 119:33 The Message

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 119:132-136The Message (MSG)

129-136 Every word you give me is a miracle word—
    how could I help but obey?
Break open your words, let the light shine out,
    let ordinary people see the meaning.
Mouth open and panting,
    I wanted your commands more than anything.
Turn my way, look kindly on me,
    as you always do to those who personally love you.
Steady my steps with your Word of promise
    so nothing malign gets the better of me.
Rescue me from the grip of bad men and women
    so I can live life your way.
Smile on me, your servant;
    teach me the right way to live.
I cry rivers of tears
    because nobody's living by your book!

  

No comments: