Thursday, May 5, 2016

Verse of the Day 5/5

 
Psalm 119:97-98    Oh how I love your law!
    It is my meditation all the day.
98 Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies,
    for it is ever with me.   English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Many people like to read and will spend hours reading novels, newspapers or magazines on things that they are interested in.  But none of them can bring the benefits or reading, studying and meditating on God's Word.  The meditation part doesn't have to be sitting off somewhere in a remote or secluded place.  But it can be anywhere at any time, reflecting on something that we've read as I "pops up" in our minds at some point during the day, often brought to mind by something that we've just experienced.
 
We can take to heart Martin Luther's comment on the book of Romans and apply to much of the Bible or perhaps your favorite passages and books of the Bible, "Romans "is worthy not only that every Christian should know it word for word, by heart, but occupy himself with it every day, as the daily bread of the soul. It can never be read or pondered too much, and the more it is dealt with the more precious it becomes, and the better it tastes."
 
How much are we "occupied" with God's Word day by day?  If it is 'the bread of our soul" as Luther states, many of us are anorexic or starving in relation to His Word.  It is as beneficial as food for us but will stick better than a meal, "it is ever with me."  Even if we eat a good breakfast, by lunchtime we are often hungry.  His Word stays with us.  May we "reverently ponder it all day long." The Message
 
I'll close with  a note from an anonymous Puritan writer:
 
This book will preach to you at home and abroad; it will preach to you in all companies; and it will preach to you in all conditions.
 
By this book you must live.
By this book you must die.
By this book you shall be judged in the great day!
By this book you shall be saved--or by this book you shall be damned!
 
Oh, therefore . . .
  love this book above all other books,
  prize this book above all other books,
  read this book before all other books,
  study this book more than all other books!
For he who reads much--and understands nothing, is like him who hunts much--and catches nothing!
 
 
Blessings,
Mike
 
Psalm 119:97-104  The Message (MSG)
97-104 Oh, how I love all you've revealed;
    I reverently ponder it all the day long.
Your commands give me an edge on my enemies;
    they never become obsolete.
I've even become smarter than my teachers
    since I've pondered and absorbed your counsel.
I've become wiser than the wise old sages
    simply by doing what you tell me.
I watch my step, avoiding the ditches and ruts of evil
    so I can spend all my time keeping your Word.
I never make detours from the route you laid out;
    you gave me such good directions.
Your words are so choice, so tasty;
    I prefer them to the best home cooking.
With your instruction, I understand life;
    that's why I hate false propaganda.
 
 
Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: