Saturday, May 14, 2016

Verse of the Day 5/14

Verse of the Day 5/14

1 Corinthians 9:24 You know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize. So run to win!   New Century Version (NCV)

You wouldn't expect to hear a professional sports team manager to come out and say "we just want to come out and compete every day", if they did they probably wouldn't be around very long because they'd probably have losing records.  They play to win.

It should be the same in our lives.  It doesn't mean winning at any cost, by cheating and bending the rules, but by being the best you can be individually and as a team with the talents that God has given you.

I read the other day that the word for "race" in the verse has the root "agon" from which we get agony or to agonize.  The race of life will have it's share of agony, of defeat, but the key is that we get back up, get back in the game and strive to win, to live the victorious Christian life.

I have heard it said, "I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And what I can do, I ought to do. And what I ought to do, by the grace of God, I will do."  To compete in a race or in a game requires that you do something, do what you can, do what you ought  to do  and by God's grace "win the race".  "Don't get caught napping ...but run hard for the finish line."  The Message

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

1 Corinthians 9:24-27The Message (MSG)

24-25 You've all been to the stadium and seen the athletes race. Everyone runs; one wins. Run to win. All good athletes train hard. They do it for a gold medal that tarnishes and fades. You're after one that's gold eternally.

26-27 I don't know about you, but I'm running hard for the finish line. I'm giving it everything I've got. No sloppy living for me! I'm staying alert and in top condition. I'm not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself.

  

No comments: