Monday, August 27, 2018

Verse of the Day 8/27

Verse of the Day 8/27


Hosea 11:7   My people are bent on turning away from me,

    and though they call out to the Most High,
    he shall not raise them up at all.    English Standard Version (ESV)



As I read today's verse in my Old Testament reading the other day I wondered  how closely today's society resembled that of Hosea's time.  The verse gives the picture of people calling out to God, raising hands to Him with unrepentant hearts, going through the motions as it were but not seriously following God in their daily lives.

The word that drew my attention was "bent", bent on turning away.  I was reminded of driving through the country and noticing how all of the trees were bent from the prevailing winds, day by day, that influenced how the trees grew.  So it is with society, the more that we are impacted by its prevailing winds the more we will be bent by it.  What is the answer?  It is to daily be subject to God and His influence.  Read the short passage below, realize that He taught us to walk and we need to get back to that walk.

My daily reading in Psalms brought me to Psalm 17 where we read:

Psalm 17:5-9  My steps have held fast to your paths;

    my feet have not slipped.

I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God;
    incline your ear to me; hear my words.
Wondrously show your steadfast love,
    O Savior of those who seek refuge
    from their adversaries at your right hand.

Keep me as the apple of your eye;
    hide me in the shadow of your wings,
from the wicked who do me violence,
    my deadly enemies who surround me.   English Standard Version (ESV)

Let us hold fast to His paths, to His influence.  When we do, we can call upon Him and He will answer us and show us His steadfast love.  I had the following note posted in association with Psalm 17:5 in my eBible.

I do not know what is around that next turn in this winding trail of life. But I know this--whatever there is around that corner, I shall have my hand in Another's hand when I go and face it. And if I feel a little bit disturbed, I shall move my finger around in the palm of that hand till I find the scar, and then I shall know that Jesus Christ, who on the cross was wounded for my sins--is not going to leave me no matter what corner I go around on the winding road of life.
Let us not be "bent" on turning from Jesus, but walk through life with our hand in "Another's", Jesus, who will not leave you in this winding road of life.

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Hosea 11:3-7 New Living Translation (NLT)

I myself taught Israel[a] how to walk,
    leading him along by the hand.
But he doesn't know or even care
    that it was I who took care of him.
I led Israel along
    with my ropes of kindness and love.
I lifted the yoke from his neck,
    and I myself stooped to feed him.

"But since my people refuse to return to me,
    they will return to Egypt
    and will be forced to serve Assyria.
War will swirl through their cities;
    their enemies will crash through their gates.
They will destroy them,
    trapping them in their own evil plans.
For my people are determined to desert me.
They call me the Most High,
    but they don't truly honor me.

No comments: