Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Verse of the Day 8/8

 
Verse of the Day 8/8
Acts 20:24 But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may accomplish my course and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. Revised Standard Version (RSV)
In yesterday's post from Psalm 5 we considered how David made a morning sacrifice, offered praise and worship and himself to God and then prepared to see what God would do in his life. That act of submission to God of offering personal sacrifice does not come naturally. It did not then and it certainly does not today when all most people can think about is themselves and their personal glory. Just think of all of the "social media" platforms and all the ""selfies posted'.
We count our lives as precious to ourselves, our time is valuable to ourselves and what Paul is talking about here reflects the same attitude as David did back in the psalms. He came before God daily with a desire to accomplish God's purposes, actually to be an instrument for God to use to accomplish His purposes for His glory.
One of my favorite Christian authors from last century is A.W. Tozer, what he wrote about then would still be true of us, even more so today. He writes, "we are 20th century Christians. Some of us are Christians only because it is convenient and pleasant and because it is not costing us anything. But here is the truth, whether we like it or not: the average evangelical Christian who claims to be born again and have eternal life is not doing as much to propagate his or her faith".
Like David and like Paul we should be seeking God, His guidance and His purposes daily, to "testify of the gospel of the grace of God".
As I travel through this pilgrim land
There is a friend who walks with me
Leads me safely through the sinking sand
It is the Christ at Calvary.
This would be my prayer dear Lord each day
To help me do the best I can
For I need Thy light to guide me day and night
Blessed Jesus hold my hand.
[Chorus:]
Jesus hold my hand
I need thee every hour
Through this pilgrim land
Protect me by thy power.
Hear my feeble plea
O Lord look down on me
When I kneel in prayer I hope to meet you there
Blessed Jesus hold my hand. (George Jones)
Blessings,
Mike
Acts 20:24-28 New Living Translation (NLT)
24 But my life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus—the work of telling others the Good News about the wonderful grace of God.
25 "And now I know that none of you to whom I have preached the Kingdom will ever see me again. 26 I declare today that I have been faithful. If anyone suffers eternal death, it's not my fault,[a] 27 for I didn't shrink from declaring all that God wants you to know.
28 "So guard yourselves and God's people. Feed and shepherd God's flock—his church, purchased with his own blood[b]—over which the Holy Spirit has appointed you as leaders.[c]

Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: