Friday, August 31, 2018

Verse of the Day 8/31

Verse of the Day 8/31


Matthew 9:9 As Jesus passed on from there, he saw a man called Matthew sitting at the tax booth, and he said to him, "Follow me." And he rose and followed him.   English Standard Version (ESV)

The other day we considered Hosea 12:6 which stated "so you, by the help of your God, return".  We also looked at the hymn, "Come Thou Fount" and as I read today's verse one line from that song was brought to mind,it was "Jesus sought me when a stranger, wandering from the fold of God".  In today's verse Matthew, a hated tax collector was seen by Jesus, Jesus saw Him, sought Him, called Him.  He has done the same for you and me.

It is a common theme in the Old and New Testaments, God sees people, of all types but especially those who may be overlooked or looked down on by others.  He saw the paralytics, He saw the lepers, He saw the woman caught in adultery.  Thinking back to the Old Testament, He saw Jacob, He sought him and wrestled with him.  He saw and sought the prophets in various situations, ministered to them and brought them back.

Where were you when you recall that God had seen and called you to "follow Him"?  At the time, you probably didn't know Him very well, but He sought you.  Not because you were a superstar or someone of great reputation, but because you needed a Savior.

Having a disabled son, I appreciate those who notice him, who pay attention to him and reach out to him.  I've been touched by how my grandchildren have reached out and loved him, included him in situations as simple as blowing bubbles.  Their love shown to him lifted me lifted my spirits and I know they lifted Jeff's as well.  We can all do the same, especially if we let God lead us to notice to see, and seek those that may be overlooked by others, whether it be from disabilities, occupation or reputation.

I was reminded of the old hymn, love lifted me.  Jesus lifted Matthew the tax collector, the other disciples and every other follower throughout history.  May we seek to lift up others that they may see that it is actually Jesus doing the lifting through His love.

I was sinking deep in sin
Far from the peaceful shore
Very deeply stained within
Sinking to rise no more
But the Master of the sea
Heard my despairing cry
From the waters lifted me
Now safe am I
Love lifted me, love lifted me
When nothing else could help
Love lifted me
Love lifted me, love lifted me
When nothing else could help
Love lifted me
All my heart to Him I give
Ever to Him I'll cling
In His blessed presence live
Ever His praises sing
Love so mighty and so true 
Merits my soul's best songs
Faithful, loving service too, to Him belongs
Love lifted me, love lifted me
When nothing else could help
Love lifted me
Love lifted me, love lifted me
When nothing else could help
Love lifted me
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Matthew 9:9-13 The Message (MSG)

Passing along, Jesus saw a man at his work collecting taxes. His name was Matthew. Jesus said, "Come along with me." Matthew stood up and followed him.

10-11 Later when Jesus was eating supper at Matthew's house with his close followers, a lot of disreputable characters came and joined them. When the Pharisees saw him keeping this kind of company, they had a fit, and lit into Jesus' followers. "What kind of example is this from your Teacher, acting cozy with crooks and riffraff?"

12-13 Jesus, overhearing, shot back, "Who needs a doctor: the healthy or the sick? Go figure out what this Scripture means: 'I'm after mercy, not religion.' I'm here to invite outsiders, not coddle insiders."

No comments: