Saturday, October 19, 2019

Verse of the Day 10/19

Verse of the Day 10/19

Psalm 119:11-12 I consider your prophecies to be my greatest treasure,and I memorize them and write them on my heart to keep me from committing sin's treason against you.12 My wonderful God, you are to be praised above all;teach me the power of your decrees! The Passion Translation (TPT)

The portion of Psalm 119 that we are looking at today begins with "how can a young man keep his way pure?". Verse 16 has the answer to that question for the young man as well as for each of us. The New King James and other versions state "I will not forget your word". The New International Version translates it "I will not neglect your Word". If we want to walk with the Lord, by the Spirit, we need to have His Word permeating our hearts and minds. For this to happen we need to have it before us.

I read the following in a recent "Today in the Word" devotional. It goes along with the thoughts about "wavering between opinions" and "walking in the Spirit" as opposed to "walking by the flesh" and the natural desires of the human heart.'

"The State of the Bible 2018 report, commissioned by the American Bible Society and conducted by Barna Research, found that Americans could be divided into five categories: (1) Bible Centered daily readers (9%), (2) Bible Engaged weekly readers (17%), (3) Bible Friendly (15%); and (4) Bible Neutral (5%). The fifth category, Bible Disengaged, was by far the most populated at 54 percent, those who rarely interacted with Scripture at all."

The Passion Translation states that following God's word will keep us from committing sins "treason" against Him. Treason is a high crime, in many societies the punishment is death.
What kind of regard do we hold to God's Word. May it be our hearts desire to keep it continually before us in our hearts and minds to guide us. Which category would we find ourselves in Barna's study? Would we consider neglect treasonous?

Blessings,

Mike

Psalm 119:9-16 English Standard Version (ESV)

9 How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word.10 With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments!11 I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.12 Blessed are you, O Lord; teach me your statutes!13 With my lips I declare all the rules[a] of your mouth.14 In the way of your testimonies I delight as much as in all riches.15 I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways.16 I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word.


 Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: