Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Verse of the Day 5/6

Verse of the Day 5/6

John 11:25-26   Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life.  Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?"    English Standard Version (ESV)

I received word yesterday that a friend from our youth group back in high school had passed away from complications from the Corona virus.  He had had underlying conditions from a stroke he had suffered a few years ago.  The last few years were hard, coming back from that stroke but during that time his faith had been renewed and he spoke/posted often about his love for his church family.

Several of the "kids" from that youth group receive these posts.  We are still "friends" on Facebook mainly through our love for the Lord.  We are separated by miles and live in different states but we are from the same church family and more importantly the family of God.

I posted a verse from this chapter not long ago and pointed to verse 4, which in the HCSB, Jesus states, "this sickness will not end in death".  Lazarus died but it didn't end there.  Lazarus was raised from the dead, physically, to prove that Jesus has the power over death and give us confidence that He will raise up those who love Him to be with Him.

In times like these my mind goes to the scripture like today's in John chapter 11 for encouragement and hope.  My mind also goes to music, to songs that convey the feelings in my heart which God's Word has placed there.  The following words are for my friend Jeff and that those who knew him and love the Lord, will see his face again.  Until that day, we wait with hope.

And now you've gone away
And left us with the memories of your smile
And nothing we can say
And nothing we can do
Can take away the pain
The pain of losing you, but...


We can cry with hope
We can say goodbye with hope
'Cause we know our goodbye is not the end, oh no
And we can grieve with hope
'Cause we believe with hope
(There's a place by God's grace)
There's a place where we'll see your face again
We'll see your face again


And never have I known
Anything so hard to understand
And never have I questioned more
The wisdom of God's plan
But through the cloud of tears
I see the Father's smile and say well done
And I imagine you
Where you wanted most to be
Seeing all your dreams come true
'Cause now you're home
And now you're free, and ...
We have this hope as an anchor
'Cause we believe that everything
God promised us is true, so...


We wait with hope
And we ache with hope
We hold on with hope
We let go with hope   (With Hope - Steven Curtis Chapman)


--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

John 11:17-27 The Message (MSG)

17-20 When Jesus finally got there, he found Lazarus already four days dead. Bethany was near Jerusalem, only a couple of miles away, and many of the Jews were visiting Martha and Mary, sympathizing with them over their brother. Martha heard Jesus was coming and went out to meet him. Mary remained in the house.

21-22 Martha said, "Master, if you'd been here, my brother wouldn't have died. Even now, I know that whatever you ask God he will give you."

23 Jesus said, "Your brother will be raised up."

24 Martha replied, "I know that he will be raised up in the resurrection at the end of time."

25-26 "You don't have to wait for the End. I am, right now, Resurrection and Life. The one who believes in me, even though he or she dies, will live. And everyone who lives believing in me does not ultimately die at all. Do you believe this?"

27 "Yes, Master. All along I have believed that you are the Messiah, the Son of God who comes into the world."

No comments: