Thursday, April 1, 2021

Verse of the Day 4/1

Verse of the Day 4/1

John 13:34-35A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."  New King James Version (NKJV)

Today is Maundy Thursday, are you familiar with what that means?  When I was growing up, the church that our family attended did not celebrate Maundy Thursday and I don't remember hearing it preached or talked about.  I didn't find out what it meant or learn anything about it until I was an adult.

The word "maundy" actually means "a new commandment" and is related to today's verses that were instructions given by Jesus to His disciples after they went out from the last supper, just prior to His arrest and the events that transpired on the following day with His arrest, trial, conviction, sentence and execution on the cross.

He had just given the disciples an example of this lesson by demonstrating servant hood in the washing of the disciples feet.  How powerful it is that He would choose these words as His final send off, final instructions to His closest friends before His journey to Calvary.

As we prepare our hearts and minds for the next few days and reflect on what Jesus has done for us, let's not forget His instructions.  They are meant for us as well, not just on Maundy Thursday but each day of our lives.  The word "maundy" comes from the Greek word "mandatum" and is commonly translated as a command or commandment, but it is easy to see what it was, a "mandate" to love one another.

In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness  of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV


John 13:31-35 New King James Version (NKJV)

The New Commandment

31 So, when he had gone out, Jesus said, "Now the Son of Man is glorified, and God is glorified in Him. 32 If God is glorified in Him, God will also glorify Him in Himself, and glorify Him immediately. 33 Little children, I shall be with you a little while longer. You will seek Me;and as I said to the Jews, 'Where I am going, you cannot come,' so now I say to you. 34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."



No comments: