Sunday, December 31, 2023

Verse of the Day 12/31

Verse of the Day 12/31



Psalm 90:4-5
New King James Version



For a thousand years in Your sight
Are like yesterday when it is past,
And like a watch in the night.
You carry them away like a flood;
They are like a sleep.
In the morning they are like grass which grows up:
12 So teach us to number our days,
That we may gain a heart of wisdom.


I remember my grandparents telling me that as you grow older that the years pass by faster.  I didn't really believe it or understand it then, but now as I'm "a senior citizen", I know what they were talking about. Each years seems to go by faster.  What do we need to remember in light of this?  Verse 12 gives us the answer, "teach us to number our days", or we might say "make each day count.

John Piper writes, "Numbering your days simply means remembering that your life is short and your dying will be soon. Great wisdom — great, life-revolutionizing wisdom — comes from periodically pondering these things. The criterion of success, that Paul used to measure his life, was whether he had kept the faith. "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing" (2 Timothy 4:7–8). Let this be our test at year's end."

We don't know what the future, what next year holds, but we do know who holds it in His hands. Our goal, our aim for the coming year should be to keep the faith, fight the good fight and finish the race, the victory is ours in the name of Jesus Christ.  It doesn't make sense to the world, but this victory comes by surrender.

1 All to Jesus I surrender,
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.

Refrain:
I surrender all, I surrender all;
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.

2 All to Jesus I surrender,
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel Thy Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine. [Refrain]

3 All to Jesus I surrender,
Lord, I give myself to Thee;
Fill me with Thy love and power,
Let Thy blessing fall on me. [Refrain]







Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

No comments: