Monday, January 1, 2024

Verse of the Day 1/1

Verse of the Day 1/1



Matthew 1:23
New King James Version



23 "Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel," which is translated, "God with us."


Many of you may be starting off the New Year with a goal to read through the New Testament, if so, you likely started with Matthew and read today's verse.  The verse and chapter is linked to the Christmas story, has Jesus geneology and points back to Old Testament prophecy.

Christmas has become, for many, focused on gifts.  The greatest gift was the gift of Jesus.  Today's verse makes us aware of an aspect of the significance of Jesus' birth with reference to the name "Immanuel", which means God is with us, it has to do with His presence.

In yesterday's post I quoted the hymn "I Surrender All" which spoke of the desire to "in His presence daily live".  Reading the Bible everyday is a good goal for us to have.  An even bigger goal is to live with His presence.  To live with His power, the Spirit living in us and quiding us.

There are many songs from Christmas the deal with what we want for Christmas. But His presense should be our greatest desire and it is a gift, a gift that needs to be our hearts desire every day.

I'm caught up in Your presence
I just want to sit here at Your feet
I'm caught up in this holy moment
I never want to leave
Oh, I'm not here for blessings
Jesus, You don't owe me anything
More than anything that You can do
I just want You

[Verse 1]
I'm sorry when I've just gone through the motions
I'm sorry when I just sang another song
Take me back to where we started
I open up my heart to You

[Verse 2]
I'm sorry when I've come with my agenda
I'm sorry when I forgot that You're enough
Take me back to where we started
I open up my heart to You.                                ("Nothing Else - Cody Barnes)




Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Matthew 1:18-25
 New King James Version

Christ Born of Mary

18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: After His mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit. 19 Then Joseph her husband, being [a]a just man, and not wanting to make her a public example, was minded to put her away secretly. 20 But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is [b]conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21 And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name [c]Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins."

22 So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: 23 "Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel," which is translated, "God with us."

24 Then Joseph, being aroused from sleep, did as the angel of the Lord commanded him and took to him his wife, 25 and [d]did not know her till she had brought forth her[e] firstborn Son. And he called His name Jesus.


No comments: