Monday, July 13, 2009

Verse of the Day 7/13

Through the Bible - Psalm 13-15, Acts 19
 
Good morning,
This weekend our Pastor Bob finished his series "Choose", this week's message was titled "Hearing Test" and he spoke of "making right decisions at the right time".
 
Earlier in the day I had heard the song "Mighty to Save" and it kept going through my mind.  While working with my handicapped son, Jeff, I listened to a message by John MacArthur on Romans 1:16 regarding the "power of God to salvation" and thought how well it went with that song.
 
Mighty to Save ended up being one of the songs that we sang leading up to Bob's message.  While singing, I opened up my Amplified Bible that I had with me to the passage in Romans 1.  The "amplification" surprised me with how well it went with the message.
 
Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "The just shall live by faith."    NKJV
or from the Amplified Bible
Romans 1:16  For I am not ashamed of the Gospel (good news) of Christ, for it is God's power working unto salvation [for deliverance from eternal death] to everyone who believes with a personal trust and a confident surrender and firm reliance, to the Jew first and also to the Greek,
    17For in the Gospel a righteousness which God ascribes is revealed, both springing from faith and leading to faith [disclosed through the way of faith that arouses to more faith]. As it is written, The man who through faith is just and upright shall live and shall live by faith.
 
Martin Luther was struck by these verses, these words, and they became his "life verses".
 
Bob spoke of times when we question some of the things that we feel God is prompting us to do.  I'm sure Martin Luther at times must have had some questions.  He found his answers to be confirmed by God's Word.  Something Bob encouraged us to do.  His life revealed that he believed it.  His belief was as Bob would say "was by conviction not consensus".  Martin Luther was famous for that and his statement "here I stand" before the council, who asked him to recant his statements, his beliefs confirmed by scripture,  at the "Diet of Worms" in 1521.
 "Unless I am convinced by proofs from Scriptures or by plain and clear reasons and arguments, I can and will not retract, for it is neither safe nor wise to do anything against conscience. Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me. Amen."
 
How does God "break in" to our lives?  Sometimes a quiet whisper, sometimes like a hammer to break the heart of stone.  But when He does He provides the power (power here is the same root word for dynamite) to break down walls and take a stand for Him.
 
Read verse 17 again in the Amplified version above.  Does this describe God's work in your life?  "springing from faith and leading to faith [disclosed through the way of faith that arouses to more faith]."
 
Mighty to Save
 
Everyone needs compassion
Love that's never failing
Let mercy fall on me
Everyone needs forgiveness
The kindness of a Savior
The hope of nations

Chorus:
Savior, He can move the mountains
My God is mighty to save
He is mighty to save
Forever, Author of Salvation
He rose and conquered the grave
Jesus conquered the grave

Verse 2:
So take as You find me
All my fears and failures
Fill my life again
I give my life to follow
Everything I believe in
Now I surrender

 
In Christ,
Mike
 
The verses below show that what struck Martin Luther struck other prophets, apostles, and Christians through the ages right up to today. " The just shall live by faith."
 
Hab 2:4- "Behold the proud,
His soul is not upright in him;
But the just shall live by his faith.   NKJV
 
Gal 3:11 But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for "the just shall live by faith."   NKJV
Heb 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith;
But if anyone draws back,
My soul has no pleasure in him."    NKJV
Gal 3:5 Therefore He who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you, does He do it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? —  6 just as Abraham "believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness."    NKJV

No comments: