Thursday, July 9, 2009

Verse of the Day 7/9

Through the Bible -  Psalms 2-3, Acts 17:1-15
 
Good morning,
Yesterday the Old Testament reading moved into the book of Psalms.  It's good to be on the read through the Bible plan, it will bring you places in His Word where you might not otherwise go.  However, strictly reading for reading sake, as a goal or a task, is to miss out on some of the depth and the heart of scripture.
 
As we read we will learn from scripture, learn facts, doctrine, and know what we believe.  But there are some passages that "speak" to us, to our very heart and sould.  The psalms do that to me perhaps more than any other book of the Bible.  They were originally passed down in verbal form and in song.  Many of our hymns and praise songs are from the psalms and were written because they spoke to the heart of the song writer.
 
Today's verse comes from Psalm 70 and is about seeking, inquiring of the Lord.  The psalm starts and ends with a call for God to make haste, hasten, or as the amplified version says for God to "hurry up".  Have you ever been there?
 
Psalm 70:4  May all those who seek, inquire of and for You, and require You [as their vital need] rejoice and be glad in You; and may those who love Your salvation say continually, Let God be magnified!    -   Amplified Biblle
or from the NKJV
Ps 70:4 Let all those who seek You rejoice and be glad in You;
And let those who love Your salvation say continually,
"Let God be magnified!"
 
 
 We've looked at being in and making it through the trials and storms of life.  For the Christian the important thing to do is to turn to God, to trust in Him and seek Him "as our vital need".  It is a two way street.  We ask of God to hurry up to hasten to us, but is it our natural way in life to hasten to Him first, not only in our trials and storms but every day of our life?
 
I would encourage you to follow the "plan" above and read through Psalms, perhaps make reading a psalm a practice for every day of your life.  But do it in a way where you "let is speak" to you, think about it, dwell on it for some time.  Carry a verse or two with you during the day.  You'll be amazed at how God will speak to you.
 
A couple of songs came to mind, one was Blessed Quietness - "on the stormy sea He speaks peace to me, how the billows cease to roll.'  The other was a more recent song by Mercy Me.
 
Word of God Speak  -  Mercy Me
 
I'm finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is it's okay
The last thing I need is to be heard
But to hear what You would say
[Chorus]
Word of God speak
Would You pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see
Your majesty
To be still and know
That You're in this place
Please let me stay and rest
In Your holiness
Word of God speak
I'm finding myself in the midst of You
Beyond the music, beyond the noise
All that I need is to be with You
And in the quiet hear Your voice
 
In Christ,
Mike
Ps 70:1-71:1
Prayer for Relief from Adversaries(Ps 40:13-17)
To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David. To bring to remembrance.
70 Make haste, O God, to deliver me!Make haste to help me, O Lord!
2 Let them be ashamed and confoundedWho seek my life;Let them be turned back and confusedWho desire my hurt. 3 Let them be turned back because of their shame,Who say, "Aha, aha!"
4 Let all those who seek You rejoice and be glad in You;And let those who love Your salvation say continually,"Let God be magnified!"
5 But I am poor and needy;Make haste to me, O God!You are my help and my deliverer;O Lord, do not delay.    NKJV

 

No comments: