Friday, July 3, 2009

Verse of the Day 7/3

Through the Bible - Job 28-30, Acts 13
 
Good morning,
Where does "common sense" come from?  Common would seem to mean that all of us should have it.  Obviously we don't always use it.
Today's verse comes from the book of Proverbs, probably the most practical book ever written on common sense.
 
Prov 8:13-15  The Fear-of-God means hating Evil,
whose ways I hate with a passion —
pride and arrogance and crooked talk.
Good counsel and common sense are my characteristics;
I am both Insight and the Virtue to live it out
.  
(from THE MESSAGE)
or from the NKJV
Prov 8:13 The fear of the Lord is to hate evil;
Pride and arrogance and the evil way
And the perverse mouth I hate.
14 Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom;
I am understanding, I have strength.

When you look at what is going on in the world around us you don't seem to find much common sense being used, being put into practice, especially in Washington.  Wait, let me qualify that, it's not just today, it's been this way for years.
 
For Father's Day, I was given a book "Glenn Beck's Common Sense".  It is an interesting read and points out much of what doesn't make sense in what is going on in America and in the political system.
 
Beck writes, "We are once again living in days that will try men's souls;days that will remembered by historians as great and perilous.  But how will history remember us?  Will we be remembered as the heroes of our time or as those who lost that which was most precious to us in order to satiate our desires and appetites?"
 
I don't think that Beck was coming from a theological perspective when he wrote this, but carry the thought over to our faith.  We are living in perlious and great times in terms of our faith, in terms of the truth of the gospel.  Are we willing to give up, lose that which should be most precious to us?  How will future Christians look back and remember us?
 
We need to return to the common sense of the Bible.  Find our wisdom and understanding there and through following Christ.  Apply the principles from the "Sermon on the Mount" in Matthew 5-7 as well as the rest of the New Testament teachings.
 
God was speaking through Solomon about wisdom.  Read these words again.  What impact will they have upon you today?
 
Prov. 8:14 "Good counsel and common sense are my characteristics;
I am both Insight and the Virtue to live it out. "
 
Good counsel and common sense and the insight and virtue to live it out, isn't that what we need?  It is found in the narrow way.
 
In Christ,
MIke
 
Prov 8:8-18
You'll only hear true and right words from my mouth;
not one syllable will be twisted or skewed.
You'll recognize this as true — you with open minds;
truth-ready minds will see it at once.
Prefer my life-disciplines over chasing after money,
and God-knowledge over a lucrative career.
For Wisdom is better than all the trappings of wealth;
nothing you could wish for holds a candle to her.
 
"I am Lady Wisdom, and I live next to Sanity;
Knowledge and Discretion live just down the street.
The Fear-of-God means hating Evil,
whose ways I hate with a passion —
pride and arrogance and crooked talk.
Good counsel and common sense are my characteristics;
I am both Insight and the Virtue to live it out.
With my help, leaders rule,
and lawmakers legislate fairly;
With my help, governors govern,
along with all in legitimate authority.
I love those who love me;
those who look for me find me.
 
(from THE MESSAGE)
 

No comments: