Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Verse of the Day 7/15

Through the Bible - Psalms 19-22, Acts 20:17-38
 
Good morning,
Over the past few days we've looked at how Martin Luther took his stand on the gospel and we've also considered what it means and what it takes to persevere through trials (James 1:2).  Paul's life was an example of standing through the trials and literally through the storms.  He had learned to stand and not shrink back in any situation.
 
For today's verse we'll go to this morning's New Testament reading in Acts 20.  Paul faced trials and persecutions wherever he went, it was no different here, Acts 20:19 "I served the Lord with great humility and with tears, although I was severely tested by the plots of the Jews. "  But his message did not change.  He wouldn't shrink back from the gospel message due to public opinio
 
Acts 20:20 I never shrank back from telling you what you needed to hear, either publicly or in your homes. 21 I have had one message for Jews and Greeks alike—the necessity of repenting from sin and turning to God, and of having faith in our Lord Jesus.   NLT

This morning in my devotions I read Psalm 106.  The Life Application Bible notes had the following to say about troubles.  "God allowed troubles to come to the Israelites to help them.  (I know it sounds strange but keep reading).  Our troubles CAN be helpful because they : 1) humble us, 2) pull us from the allurements of the world and drive us back to God, 3) quicken our prayers, 4) allow us to experience more of God's faithfulness, 5) make us more dependent upon God, 6) encourage us to submit to God's purpose for our life, and 7) make us more compassionate to others in trouble."
 
It is interesting to note that troubles can come about because of our disobedience or because of our obedience, taking a stand like Paul or Martin Luther. 
 
Billy Graham has said, "The men who followed  (Christ) were unique in their generation.  They turned the world upside down because their hearts had been turned right side up.  The world has never been the same."
We've often considered the importance of passing our faith on to the next generation.  We must hold to the core principles, teach them what they need to hear "publicly or in the homes", and not shrink back from teaching "what they need to hear".
 
In doing so, we may (us and the next generation) will  face trials and persectutions.  But if we are faithful, because God is faithful, we'll see the world "turned upside down" and know that the world will never be the same because of it.
 
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net

Acts 20:17-24
 
On to Jerusalem
 
From Miletus he sent to Ephesus for the leaders of the congregation. When they arrived, he said, "You know that from day one of my arrival in Asia I was with you totally —   laying my life on the line, serving the Master no matter what, putting up with no end of scheming by Jews who wanted to do me in. I didn't skimp or trim in any way. Every truth and encouragement that could have made a difference to you, you got. I taught you out in public and I taught you in your homes, urging Jews and Greeks alike to a radical life-change before God and an equally radical trust in our Master Jesus.
 
"But there is another urgency before me now. I feel compelled to go to Jerusalem. I'm completely in the dark about what will happen when I get there. I do know that it won't be any picnic, for the Holy Spirit has let me know repeatedly and clearly that there are hard times and imprisonment ahead. But that matters little. What matters most to me is to finish what God started: the job the Master Jesus gave me of letting everyone I meet know all about this incredibly extravagant generosity of God.
The Message

No comments: