Saturday, July 18, 2009

Verse of the Day - weekend 7/18

Through the Bible - Psalms 28-32, Acts 21:37-23:11
 
Good morning,
For this weekend's verse we'll return to the book of Psalms.
 
Reading through the Psalms and also David's life in other books of the Old Testament it is not too hard to see that David loved music and worship.  Instruments and choirs were often in use in the processions of carrying the ark.  The priests and levites had specific duties regarding music and praise then much like we have worship leaders directing choirs and prasise bands today.
 
Today's verse is from Psalm 108 which I read recently.
Ps 108:1- O God, my heart is steadfast;
I will sing and give praise, even with my glory.
2 Awake, lute and harp!
I will awaken the dawn.    NKJV

David is most likely saying here that he will praise his God to start his day, awakening the dawn of the day.  With David's love for music and his references to the instruments you may also get the idea that he has in mind something more that quiet meditations or singing "soft hymns".  I think David would have enjoyed some of today's "rockin" praise bands. 
I'm not making a theological stand, just giving a personal impression., but I could picture David joining right in with Chris Tomlin or Steven Curtis Chapman.  Thinking of waking the dawn, the song live out loud came to mind, here are some of the words.
 
Live Out Loud - (Steven Curtis Chapman)
Wake the neighbors
Get the word out
Come on, crank up the music, climb a mountain and shout
This is life we've been given, made to be lived out
So, la, la, la, la, live out loud

Think about this
Try to keep a bird from singing after it's soared up in the sky
Give the sun a cloudless day and tell it not to shine

Think about this
If we really have been given the gift of life that will never end
And if we have been filled with living hope, we're gonna overflow
And if God's love is burning in our hearts, we're gonna glow
There's just no way to keep it in

Read though some Psalms this weekend, or perhaps 1 Chronicles 16.  Try to see how many hymns and praise songs you come across that were inspired by these words.  Sing some of the in praise, sing out loud in worship this weekend.
In Christ,
Mike
Ps 108:1-6
108 1 My heart is confident in you, O God;
no wonder I can sing your praises with all my heart!
2 Wake up, lyre and harp!
I will wake the dawn with my song.

3 I will thank you, Lord, among all the people.
I will sing your praises among the nations.
4 For your unfailing love is higher than the heavens.
Your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.
5 Be exalted, O God, above the highest heavens.
May your glory shine over all the earth.  NKJV
 

No comments: