Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Verse of the Day 7/7

Through the Bible - Job 39-40, Acts 16:1-15
 
Good morning,
Back in Acts 11 it was noted that Christ's followers were first called "Christians" in the city of Antioch.  Literally it meant "little Christs".  They had developed a reputation, one that was not looked on favorably by many in that city.
 
Moving on to Acts 14 which was part of this weekend's New Testament reading, we see that some Paul's opponents, critics, followed them to Lystra,  dragged him out of the city and stoned him.  Still Paul was not disuaded from preaching the gospel and making disciples.  Paul along with Barnabas went back to Lystra and then went on to Derbe.  They still showed the "joy of the Lord" even in and through their trials.  The trials that they had been in and through and had produced the endurance spoken about yesterday in James.  The following verses give us an indication of what can come from persevering, choosing to persevere through trials while retaining and displaying the 'joy of the Lord".
 
Acts 14:21  When they had preached the good news (Gospel) to that town and made disciples of many of the people, they went back to Lystra and Iconium and Antioch,   22Establishing and strengthening the souls and the hearts of the disciples, urging and warning and encouraging them to stand firm in the faith, and [telling them] that it is through many hardships and tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God.    (Amplified Bible)
or from the NKJV
Acts 14:21 And when they had preached the gospel to that city and made many disciples, they returned to Lystra, Iconium, and Antioch, 22 strengthening the souls of the disciples, exhorting them to continue in the faith, and saying, "We must through many tribulations enter the kingdom of God."   NKJV

Paul and Barnabas' goal was to reach others for Christ and to make disciples.  Going through their trials and persevering through them in faith was a great example and preparation for those who would follow.
 
Think of the words used to describe their actions in the Amplified Bible.  Establishing and strengthening.  Urging and warning and encouraging them to stand. 
 
As I was on my way to the airport this morning I listened to the song by Third Day "Mountain of God".  It reminded me of a modern day application. Here are some of the words.
 
Mountain of God - Third Day
 
Even though the journey's long
And I know the road is hard
Well, the One who's gone before me
He will help me carry on
After all that I've been through
Now I realize the truth
That I must go through the valley
To stand upon the mountain of God

As I travel on the road
That You have lead me down
You are here with me
Yes, You are here with me
I have need for nothing more
Oh, now that I have found
That You are here with me
Yes, You are here with me

I confess from time to time
I lose my way
But You are always there
To bring me back again

Sometimes I think of where it is I've come from
And the things I've left behind
But of all I've had, what I possessed
Nothing can quite compare
With what's in front of me
With what's in front of me

What are some of the things that you've gone through, some of the things you left behind?
Can they compare to what lies ahead?
 
May the thought give you the strength to persevere when you don't think that you have it.
 
In Christ,
Mike
Acts 14:21-15:1
Strengthening the Converts
21 And when they had preached the gospel to that city and made many disciples, they returned to Lystra, Iconium, and Antioch, 22 strengthening the souls of the disciples, exhorting them to continue in the faith, and saying, "We must through many tribulations enter the kingdom of God." 23 So when they had appointed elders in every church, and prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord in whom they had believed. 24 And after they had passed through Pisidia, they came to Pamphylia. 25 Now when they had preached the word in Perga, they went down to Attalia. 26 From there they sailed to Antioch, where they had been commended to the grace of God for the work which they had completed.
27 Now when they had come and gathered the church together, they reported all that God had done with them, and that He had opened the door of faith to the Gentiles. 28 So they stayed there a long time with the disciples.

NKJV
 

No comments: