Thursday, July 16, 2009

Verse of the Day 7/16

Through the Bible - Psalms 23-24, Acts 21:1-16
 
Good morning,
Today's Old Testament reading includes Psalm 23.  Over the last several years I've quoted 5 out of the 6 verses in a "VOTD" devotional.  Today I'll complete the cycle with Psalm 23:5.
 
Ps 23:5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.    NKJV

or from the NLT
Ps 23:5 You prepare a feast for me
in the presence of my enemies.
You honor me by anointing my head with oil.
My cup overflows with blessings.
 
In the psalm the psalmist acknowledges God as his Provider, realizing it is God that "makes him" lie down, leads him, and restores him.  Whether he has come through or is still in the valley, God is with him and comforts him.
 
We can look at verse 5 in the same way, whether it is while he's in the valley or looking back, God prepares a table, a veritable feast for him.  It is more than sustenance, it is filling, satisfying. 
 
It is interesting to note that it is in the presence of his enemies or possibly in spite of their presence.  They are witnesses to his "feast" to his rejoicing, to his satisfaction in life. 
 
The imagery of anointing in the Old Testament is often preparation for a blessing.  In this case it follow at the end of verse 5 and continues to verse 6 which speaks of God's mercy literally "pursuing" him all the days of his life, no matter the situation.  Looking forward to "dwelling in the house of the Lord", not a temporary "tent", but a permanent home.

It's not about viewing the cup as half empty or half full, it is viewing it as overflowing.
 
Even in trying times, count your many blessings, name them one by one, and it will surprise you what the Lord has done.  It may help you to see the overflowing cup.
 
In Christ,
Mike
Ps 23:1-24:1
The Lord the Shepherd of His People
A Psalm of David.
23 The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
3 He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord
Forever.    NKJV
 

No comments: