Monday, July 11, 2011

Verse of the Day 7/11

Through the Bible - Psalms 1-3, Acts 9:1-21
 
Good morning,
Over the weekend I read John 21 and a couple of different commentaries with different interpretations to verse 15.  We'll go there for today's verse.

John 21:15 English Standard Version (ESV)  When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Feed my lambs."
 

Some feel that by "more than these" Jesus was speaking to the disciples about  their professions, in this case being impressed by the large catch of "these" fish (153).  Others feel that Jesus was asking Peter if he loved Him more than the other disciples.  You can see how each one could apply.  Some people are wired and driven by success in their careers while others see their status, their "ranking", even in church, to be most important.

 

Jesus shows Peter what is important, and how he can show that he truly loves Jesus, by feeding His lambs, tending His sheep, and feeding His sheep.  He sums it up in verse 19 by saying "follow me".

 

I heard a message by Francis Chan over the weekend about the church,  in the message  he said that   "Jesus calls his disciples to be fishers of men but all too often we're content to live an aquarium" (paraphrased).  If we are concerned more with our careers or status, even in the church, we are more likely to be "aquarium" Christians, going to church only to be seen there and to be fed.

 

We are to feed help in feeding others and in that way join in the great commission.  In doing so we will indeed "follow Him", get out of the aquarium and start fishing, feeding others.

 

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

 

John 21:15-19

English Standard Version (ESV)

Jesus and Peter
 15When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Feed my lambs." 16He said to him a second time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Tend my sheep." 17He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, "Do you love me?" and he said to him, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Feed my sheep. 18 Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you used to dress yourself and walk wherever you wanted, but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will dress you and carry you where you do not want to go." 19(This he said to show by what kind of death he was to glorify God.) And after saying this he said to him, "Follow me."

No comments: