Saturday, July 9, 2011

Verse of the Day - weekend 7/9

Through the Bible - Obadiah,Ruth, Acts 8
 
Good morning,
Yesterday we considered how God's true glory is not displayed in temples made by human hands but shines as His Spirit works through the hearts and lives of His followers, His children.
 
John Piper states that "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him".  It is the motto for his church and ministry.  It is exemplified in the lives of those who are " filled with all  the fullness of God" (Eph. 3:19).
 
In today's "My Utmost for His Highest" devotional, Oswald Chambers as the question "are you sufficiently right with God to expect Him to manifest His wonderful life in you?".  It is a question we should ask of ourselves.  If we do it may be quite sobering and humbling.
 
For this weekend's verse we'll go to to Psalm 143 where David reveals his hearts desire to follow God, to depend on Him.

Psalm 143:8  Amplified Bible (AMP) 8Cause me to hear Your loving-kindness in the morning, for on You do I lean and in You do I trust. Cause me to know the way wherein I should walk, for I lift up my inner self to You.

 
To be "sufficiently right" with God takes time takes devotion.  Many things can distract us, sometimes even good things, trying to serve God on our own and in our own power can actually get in the way of a right relationship.
 
I'll share the words of the Larnell Harris song "I Miss My Time With You".  God desires that we be "sufficiently right" with Him.  It takes time with Him for it to be. 
 
"there he was just waiting, 
in our old familiar place 
an empty spot beside him, 
where once i used to wait 
to be filled with strength and wisdom 
for the battles of the day 
i would have passed him by again 
if i didn't hear him say

(chorus)

i miss my time with you 
those moments together 
i need to be with you each day 
and it hurt's me when you say 
you're too busy 
busy trying to serve me 
but how can you serve me 
when your spirit's empty 
there's a longing in my heart 
wanting more than just a part of you 
it's true 
i miss my time with you

what do i have to offer 
how can i truly care 
my efforts have no meaning 
when your presence isn,t there 
but you will provide the power 
if i take time to pray 
i'll stay right here beside him 
and you will never have to say..

David was a man after God's own heart as revealed in this psalm.  Read the full psalm below, may it help to prepare your heart for worship this weekend.  David asks God to answer his prayer (7), cause me to hear (8), deliver me (9), teach me (10), and save my life (11).  May we do the  same.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Psalm 143

Amplified Bible (AMP)

A Psalm of David.
 1HEAR MY prayer, O Lord, give ear to my supplications! In Your faithfulness answer me, and in Your righteousness.

    2And enter not into judgment with Your servant, for in Your sight no man living is [in himself] righteous or justified.

    3For the enemy has pursued and persecuted my soul, he has crushed my life down to the ground; he has made me to dwell in dark places as those who have been long dead.

    4Therefore is my spirit overwhelmed and faints within me [wrapped in gloom]; my heart within my bosom grows numb.

    5I remember the days of old; I meditate on all Your doings; I ponder the work of Your hands.

    6I spread forth my hands to You; my soul thirsts after You like a thirsty land [for water]. Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]!

    7Answer me speedily, O Lord, for my spirit fails; hide not Your face from me, lest I become like those who go down into the pit (the grave).

    8Cause me to hear Your loving-kindness in the morning, for on You do I lean and in You do I trust. Cause me to know the way wherein I should walk, for I lift up my inner self to You.

    9Deliver me, O Lord, from my enemies; I flee to You to hide me.

    10Teach me to do Your will, for You are my God; let Your good Spirit lead me into a level country and into the land of uprightness.

    11Save my life, O Lord, for Your name's sake; in Your righteousness, bring my life out of trouble and free me from distress.

    12And in your mercy and loving-kindness, cut off my enemies and destroy all those who afflict my inner self, for I am Your servant.

 

No comments: