Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Verse of the Day 7/19

Through the Bible - Psalms 23-25, Acts 14
 
This morning is another one of those mornings where I had a verse planned for the day but something I read caused me to change course.
 
There is a lot of talk these days about "sustainability", largely in relation to the green movement and the environment.  As Christians, what keeps us going, what sustains us, from where do we draw our sustenance?
 
For today's verse we'll go to Psalm 81 where God shows us that He will sustain us.
 
Ps 81:10 I am the Lord your God,
Who brought you out of the land of Egypt;
Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it.  
NKJV
 
I read the following this morning, written by Pastor James Smith who preceded Charles Spurgeon in the pulpit at New Park Street Chapel.  He points to God's Word.

"As I am your God . . .
look
to Me,
trust
in Me,
expect
from Me."

"Open your mouth wide!" That is, "Ask LARGELY--ask for great, numerous, and costly blessings! Do not be afraid of asking for too much!
My heart is large,
My love is great,
My wealth is unbounded!

Ask BOLDLY--do not be afraid--but come boldly to My throne of grace, that you may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Ask FREQUENTLY--I am always ready to give! I am never weary of listening to your prayers. Come whenever you are in need--I rejoice to do you good. No parent ever delighted to give to a darling child--as I delight to give to you! Therefore ask and receive, that your joy may be full.

"Open your mouth wide--and I will fill it!" That is, "I have the very blessings which you need. They are from Me--they are for you! I have the disposition to give! Do not doubt My benevolence, for this grieves My heart. I give you My word, that I will bestow My favors upon you freely, plentifully, and frequently! My Word is plain--read it; it is faithful--trust it; it is honest--plead it; it is sure--expect the fulfillment of it. I will do exceeding abundantly above all that you ask or think!"

"I am the Lord your God, who brought you up out of Egypt. Open wide your mouth--and I will fill it!"

God's Word, may we read it, trust it, plead it and expect the fulfillment of it.  As we do through His Spirit, it will sustain us.  Read the passage below, may we hear and listen and walk in His ways.

In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Ps 81:8-14
 
8 "Hear, O My people, and I will admonish you!
O Israel, if you will listen to Me!
9 There shall be no foreign god among you;
Nor shall you worship any foreign god.
10 I am the Lord your God,
Who brought you out of the land of Egypt;
Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it.
 
11 "But My people would not heed My voice,
And Israel would have none of Me.
12 So I gave them over to their own stubborn heart,
To walk in their own counsels.
 
13 "Oh, that My people would listen to Me,
That Israel would walk in My ways!   
NKJV

No comments: