Thursday, July 7, 2011

Verse of the Day 7/7

Through the Bible -Deuteronomy 30-31, Acts 7:22-43
 
Good morning,
A friend and I went to play golf yesterday after work.  The forecast called for scattered storms.  I checked out the local radar and indeed there were some storms approaching from the northwest, but with my trained meteorological eye, I could determine that the storms would track just south of us.  As we were at the far end of the course the skies opened and we got dumped on.  We walked the course, no cart to speed us back to the clubhouse, no visible shelters except for some large trees, not advisable in a thunderstorm, so we had to run through it.
 
My devotions this morning brought me to Psalm 55 where we'll go for today's verses.

Psalm 55:6-8

English Standard Version (ESV)

6And I say, "Oh, that I had wings like a dove!
   I would fly away and be at rest;

8I would hurry to find a shelter
   from the raging wind and tempest."

Sometimes its like that in life.  We see the storms of life approaching but feel that we can see it tracking just south of us and keep going with our plans.  Whether its a rogue cloud or improper judgment, it doesn't matter, the storm hits.  We'd like to have wings to fly away, but we don't have wings.  The Christians seeks shelter in God, in Christ our Saviour.
 
The bird flies away to safety because it has no hope in defending itself against its enemies, it is unable to stand its ground and fight.  Like my friend and I yesterday, we could not fly away, we had to make our way through the storm.  Yes we got wet, but the storm passed and the sun came through (just after we made it back to the clubhouse, to shelter).
 
Thinking of shelter and protection from the storm another old hymn came to mind.
 
      O God, our help in ages past,  	our hope for years to come,  	our shelter from the stormy blast,  	and our eternal home.  	Under the shadow of thy throne,  	still may we dwell secure;  	sufficient is thine arm alone,  	and our defense is sure. 
	O God, our help in ages past,  	our hope for years to come;  	be thou our guide while life shall last,  	and our eternal home.
When we see storms approaching in our lives, may we stay close to our Shelter and not find ourselves on the far end of life's course, away from God.
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Psalm 55

English Standard Version (ESV)

Psalm 55

Cast Your Burden on the LORD
To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments. A Maskil of David.
 1 Give ear to my prayer, O God,
   and hide not yourself from my plea for mercy!
2Attend to me, and answer me;
   I am restless in my complaint and I moan,
3because of the noise of the enemy,
   because of the oppression of the wicked.
For they drop trouble upon me,
   and in anger they bear a grudge against me.

 4My heart is in anguish within me;
    the terrors of death have fallen upon me.
5Fear and trembling come upon me,
   and horror overwhelms me.
6And I say, "Oh, that I had wings like a dove!
   I would fly away and be at rest;
7 yes, I would wander far away;
   I would lodge in the wilderness; 
                         Selah

8I would hurry to find a shelter
   from the raging wind and tempest."


No comments: