Monday, July 18, 2011

Verse of the Day 7/18

Through the Bible - Psalms 20-22, Acts 13:26-53       
 
In my devotions I've been reading through Ecclesiastes and over the weekend and in chapter 3, which is probably better known for the "Times for Every Purpose Under Heaven", we read also that:
 
Eccl 3:11 He has  made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man's heart, yet so that he cannot  find out what God has done from the beginning to the end.  ESV

As we grow older, most of us probably think of heaven more often, realizing that this world is fleeting we set our sights on something higher, better, and eternal.  We are not setting our roots here but are preparing and setting out for another destination, another destiny.
For today's verse we'll go to Psalm 84 for one of my favorite verses in the Psalms.
 
Psalms 84:5 What joy for those whose strength comes from the Lord,
who have set their minds on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem.
6 When they walk through the Valley of Weeping,
it will become a place of refreshing springs.
The autumn rains will clothe it with blessings.  NLT

We may go through times of weeping in the valleys of life.  But when our hearts are set on our final destination we can be refreshed when we realize and set our hopes on something better ahead.  We are not looking for our "best life now" we are looking for it in eternity.  We live our lives with another world in view.
 
One of the songs that many of us learned as a child has greater meaning as we grow older, especially for those whose heart is set on pilgrimage.
 
This world is not my home I'm just passing through
my treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue
the angels beckon me from Heaven's open door
and I can't feel at home in this world anymore

O Lord you know I have no friend like you
if Heaven's not my home then Lord what will I do?
the angels beckon me from Heaven's open door
and I can't feel at home in this world anymore

 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Ps 84:1-8
 
84 1 How lovely is your dwelling place,
O Lord of Heaven's Armies.
2 I long, yes, I faint with longing
to enter the courts of the Lord.
With my whole being, body and soul,
I will shout joyfully to the living God.
3 Even the sparrow finds a home,
and the swallow builds her nest and raises her young
at a place near your altar,
O Lord of Heaven's Armies, my King and my God!
4 What joy for those who can live in your house,
always singing your praises.
Interlude
 
5 What joy for those whose strength comes from the Lord,
who have set their minds on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem.
6 When they walk through the Valley of Weeping,
it will become a place of refreshing springs.

The autumn rains will clothe it with blessings.
7 They will continue to grow stronger,
and each of them will appear before God in Jerusalem.   NLT

No comments: