Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Verse of the Day 2/21

Philippians 1:9-10 (ESV) And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, 10 so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ,
 
We're already in the middle of the political campaign season and from now through the elections in November, if we are watching any TV we will see a political add which ends with the statement "and I approve of this message".  John MacArthur notes that "approved" in classical Greek described the testing of metals or money for authenticity and that "excellent means to "differ".  The politicians will often try to promote themselves as being different from the other candidates, often in the area of personal experience as being tested and having shown themselves to be authentic, willing to stand for what they believe in.
 
The word blameless here characterizes a consistent life that doesn't lead others astray. Combined with being approved and being authentic you have the qualities of what should describe a true follower of Christ.  We would like to see such thngs in our political candidates, but how much more do we need to see them in our homes, churches, our workplace and the communities in which we live and serve?
 
If we do so, something else should show, that our love abounds, or overflows.  Whenever I think of this abounding and overflowing I think back to Psalm 23:5 "You prepare a feast for me
in the presence of my enemies.  You honor me by anointing my head with oil.  My cup overflows with blessings
. "NLT
 
What difference would there be in our lives if our cups overflowed with blessings, even in the presence of our "enemies"?  What would we think of the political candidate who chose to distribute blessings as opposed to slinging mud?  May we do our best to abound with discernment in our lives and not get caught up in the fray.

In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
 
Philippians 1:3-11 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
 3 I give thanks to my God for every remembrance of you, 4 always praying with joy for all of you in my every prayer, 5because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. 6 I am sure of this, that He who started a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. 7 It is right for me to think this way about all of you, because I have you in my heart, and you are all partners with me in grace, both in my imprisonment and in the defense and establishment of the gospel. 8 For God is my witness, how deeply I miss all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus. 9 And I pray this: that your love will keep on growing in knowledge and every kind of discernment, 10 so that you can approve the things that are superior and can be pure and blameless in the day of Christ, 11 filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ to the glory and praise of God.

No comments: