Friday, February 24, 2012

Verse of the Day 2/24

Psalm 71:17-18 (NKJV)  O God, You have taught me from my youth
And to this day I declare Your wondrous works.
18 Now also when I am old and grayheaded,
O God, do not forsake me,
Until I declare Your strength to this generation,
Your power to everyone who is to come.
 
I'm thankful that I was raised in a Christian home where going to church, AWANA Clubs, and getting involved with the youth group were "standard practice".  It was then that I was "planted" in the faith.  But no matter what age you come to Christ, that time can be looked at as your "youth" in Christ.  The point being that we should continue to grow in our faith as long as we live.
 
This morning I woke up with back spasms, a sign of old age, or at least that it is approaching faster than I'd like.  Hopefully, whatever ailments come along I'll be able to "declare His works" to through e-mails, facebook, blogs and whatever new mode of communication comes along.
 
In an article "The Untimely Church" in Tabletalk Magazine, Dr. Harry Reeder writes, "we are called by God's grace to impact the future while anticipating the future but never passively waiting for the future.  Peter affirms this dynamic with his call to live in a way that hastens "the coming of the day of God" (2 Peter 3:12).  He means that in God's sovereign plan, believers impact the future through our gospel faithfulness as we live the gospel in our own generation."  It may be considered untimely by the secular world that encourages us to retire to spend our time playing golf or collecting shells on white sandy beaches.  Our work in declaring His strength to this and coming generations is never done.
 
We may retire at some point from the work force, but we should never retire from passing on our faith to the next generation.  Hopefully, I will be able to see the day when my grandchildren may be willing to receive a "tweet" about God's Word from their grandpa, proving that an old bird can still tweet.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Psalm 71:17-21  Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

 17 God, You have taught me from my youth, 
and I still proclaim Your wonderful works. 
18 Even when I am old and gray, 
God, do not abandon me. 
Then I will proclaim Your power 
to another generation, 
Your strength to all who are to come
. 
19 Your righteousness reaches heaven, God, 
You who have done great things; 
God, who is like You? 
20 You caused me to experience 
many troubles and misfortunes, 
but You will revive me again. 
You will bring me up again, 
even from the depths of the earth. 
21 You will increase my honor 
and comfort me once again. 

No comments: