Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Verse of the Day 2/28

Verse of the Day 2/28
 
1 Corinthians 13:1 (AMP)   1IF I [can] speak in the tongues of men and [even] of angels, but have not love (that reasoning, intentional, spiritual devotion such as is inspired by God's love for and in us), I am only a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
 
In this day and age you don't have to go far to find eloquent speakers, from politicians, conference speakers and even pastors.  All too often we realize that it is easier to give eloquent speeches than to follow through on the promises made during those speeches. 
 
I remember hearing a message from John Maxwell given at a Promise Keepers event several years ago, it stuck with me and comes up time and time again as I read through the scriptures, especially in regards to passages dealing with love and imitating Christ.  He said "nobody cares how much you know until they know how much you care."  Loving involves caring.  The Amplified Bible describes that love as "reasoning, intentional, spiritual devotion as inspired by God's love for us."  
 
How does God's Word, His love inspire us?    Romans 12:9 to 13 give us 13 challenges about love and how to show it in our lives.  If we put these things in practice with the Spirit's power we won't be a noisy gong or clanging cymbal.  This is the type of love that inspires.

1) Let love be genuine. 2) Abhor what is evil; 3) hold fast to what is good. 10 4) Love one another with brotherly affection. 5) Outdo one another in showing honor. 11 6) Do not be slothful in zeal, 7) be fervent in spirit, 8)serve the Lord. 12 9) Rejoice in hope, 10) be patient in tribulation, 11) be constant in prayer. 13 12) Contribute to the needs of the saints and 13) seek to show hospitality.

This kind of love is not self taught.  Jesus teaches us how to love.
 
Teach Me to Love  (Steve Green)
 
Lord, teach me to love
Show me how to care for others
Cause my should to burn within
For the fellowship of my brother
Only you can break the chains
That have held me for so long
Lord, you're my hope, my only hope
Teach me to love.

 
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

1 Corinthians 13 The Message (MSG)

The Way of Love
 1 If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don't love, I'm nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate. 2If I speak God's Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, "Jump," and it jumps, but I don't love, I'm nothing. 3-7If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love. 

No comments: