Thursday, February 9, 2012

Verse of the Day 2/9

Psalm 119:33-34 (NLT)  Teach me your decrees, O LORD;
      I will keep them to the end.
 34 Give me understanding and I will obey your instructions;
      I will put them into practice with all my heart.

It is one thing to grow in the knowledge of our Lord and quite another to grow in grace (2 Peter 3:18).  This "grace" involves putting what we know into practice.  We may attend church, study on our own or in groups, but are we putting into practice or are we living as "secret agent Christians"?  I'm speaking to myself here as much as anyone else.
 
Is God and our relationship with Him at the fringe or boundaries of our lives or at the core?
 
Tim Keller quotes Dietrich Bonhoeffer in "Bonhoeffer, Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy" - " I should like to speak of God not on the boundaries but at the center, not in weaknesses but in strength; and therefore not in death and guilt but in man's life and goodness.... The church stands not at the boundaries where human powers give out, but in the middle of the village." 
 
As we put what we learn into practice, our lives will show that He is at the center, the core.  His strength will show through in our lives and we as individuals and as the church will be in the middle of our village and reaching out to the boundaries, that all may come in.  Keeping it in would keep keep Him in the boundary of our lives and the village.
 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Psalm 119:33-40Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

 33 Teach me, LORD, the meaning of Your statutes,
and I will always keep them.
34 Help me understand Your instruction,
and I will obey it
and follow it with all my heart.
35 Help me stay on the path of Your commands,
for I take pleasure in it.
36 Turn my heart to Your decrees
and not to material gain.
37 Turn my eyes
from looking at what is worthless;
give me life in Your ways.

38 Confirm what You said to Your servant,
for it produces reverence for You.
39 Turn away the disgrace I dread;
indeed, Your judgments are good.
40 How I long for Your precepts!
Give me life through Your righteousness.

No comments: