Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Verse of the Day 2/7

 James 1:17 (ESV) Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. 
 
Over the past few days we've considered the greatest gift ever given in the form of Jesus Christ who offered forgiveness of sins, healing, and hope to name a few things.  We've also considered the vanity, pride and the self sufficiency that stand in the way and prevent many from receiving that gift.
 
As James points out in the preceding verses, it is our desires and selfishness that draw us away from Him.  Thankfully, He is the God of second chances.  A friend responded to the devotional on John 3:17 with, " Fortunately, when I had walked away and ignored God for a while, God pulled me back with a John 3:17 "I want you with us even if you feel unworthy" kind of love."
 
When you read through the New Testament you will find example after example of the "I want you with us even if you feel unworthy kind of love."  If you've received this perfect give, felt this love, you'll relate to the hymn "And Can it Be".  Instead of condemnation, we can receive grace, God's pardon from sin, peace that endures and the power to stand fast and live for Him.
 
And can it be that I should gain
an interest in the Savior's blood!
Died he for me? who caused his pain!
For me? who him to death pursued?
Amazing love! How can it be
that thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
Amazing love! How can it be
that thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

James 1:12-17 English Standard Version (ESV)

 12 Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. 13 Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God," for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. 14 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

 16 Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. 17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

No comments: