Saturday, February 25, 2012

Verse of the Day 2/25

John 15:9 (HCSB) "As the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you. Remain in My love."
 
Most of us, at some time in our childhood, threatened to run away from home.  Chances are it was when we were somewhere between the ages of 5 and 10 and we were upset about something, not getting what we want or upset about the "unfairness" of our parents.  Few of us followed through on it, or at least never made it beyond our block before realizing that we had nowhere to go and no good reason (in reality) to go there.  So we went back to our home and our family.
 
This morning I read about Jonah.  In Jonah chapter 1 I read " But Jonah arose to flee to Tarshish from the presence of the Lord. He went down to Joppa, and found a ship going to Tarshish; so he paid the fare, and went down into it, to go with them to Tarshish from the presence of the Lord."
 
Perhaps there have been times in our faith journey where we have walked or ran away from God for a day, week, or even years or longer (depending on our stubbornness).  When you stop and think about it, it was probably for selfish or even childish reasons.  Perhaps you are in such a place right now.  If so, think about the Father's love, how you've been blessed in the past and what God might have in store for you in the future, starting now.  Hopefully, you want have to be swallowed whole and spit out by the world to come to your senses.  Why would your run and choose to stay away from the "Fount of Every Blessing"?
 
Come, thou Fount of every blessing,  	tune my heart to sing thy grace; 
O to grace how great a debtor  	daily I'm constrained to be!  	Let thy goodness, like a fetter,  	bind my wandering heart to thee.  	Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,  	prone to leave the God I love;  	here's my heart, O take and seal it,  	seal it for thy courts above. 
Don't run away, remain in His love.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

John 15:9-13 New Living Translation (NLT)

 9 "I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. 10 When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father's commandments and remain in his love. 11 I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! 12 This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. 13 There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends.

No comments: