Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Verse of the Day 4/10

 Psalm 25:17-18 (NKJV) The troubles of my heart have enlarged;  Bring me out of my distresses!
18 Look on my affliction and my pain, And forgive all my sins

 

Psalm 25 is a psalm that I've turned to many times when feeling distressed, troubled, and in need of comfort.  A dear friend handed me a note with references to several of the verses during our family's deepest trial.  I've kept it in my study Bible since the day he gave it to me, every time I see it I'm reminded of how the Lord helped me through that time.

 

In Spurgeon's evening devotional for today, he made a profound observation: "The special lesson of the text is this:--that we are to go to the Lord with sorrows and with sins in the right spirit. Note that all David asks concerning his sorrow is, "Look upon mine affliction and my pain;" but the next petition is vastly more express, definite, decided, plain--"Forgive all my sins." Many sufferers would have put it, "Remove my affliction and my pain, and look at my sins." But David does not say so; he cries, "Lord, as for my affliction and my pain, I will not dictate to thy wisdom. Lord, look at them, I will leave them to thee, I should be glad to have my pain removed, but do as thou wilt; but as for my sins, Lord, I know what I want with them; I must have them forgiven; I cannot endure to lie under their curse for a moment." A Christian counts sorrow lighter in the scale than sin; he can bear that his troubles should continue, but he cannot support the burden of his transgressions."

 

It is natural to seek relief and comfort from our afflictions.  Spurgeon asks us to consider the weight of our sins.  Which are heavier?  Knowing how God hates sin, which should weigh more on our hearts?

 

Proverbs 28:13 (NKJV) He who covers his sins will not prosper,  But whoever confesses and forsakes them will have mercy.

 

Blessings,


Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Psalm 25:16-21 New King James Version (NKJV)

16 Turn Yourself to me, and have mercy on me,
For I am desolate and afflicted.
17 The troubles of my heart have enlarged;
Bring me out of my distresses!
18 Look on my affliction and my pain,
And forgive all my sins.
19 Consider my enemies, for they are many;
And they hate me with cruel hatred.
20 Keep my soul, and deliver me;
Let me not be ashamed, for I put my trust in You.
21 Let integrity and uprightness preserve me,
For I wait for You.

No comments: