Saturday, April 7, 2012

Verse of the Day 4/7

Galatians 2:20 (NKJV) I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
 
Bible colleges and seminaries offer courses in Old Testament and New Testament "surveys".  The purpose if to give you an overview of the Bible to give you a good grasp of the Bible as a whole and help form a solid foundation on what you believe.  As we find ourselves in between Good Friday and Easter Sunday it is a good time to "survey" what Christ has done for us and how it should change our lives.  Such a survey, not just a glimpse, should give us a good understanding of the gospel foretold by the prophets of the Old Testament.
 
Jesus went to the cross because of our sin, seeing the cross should drive us to seek forgiveness and cleansing that only God through Jesus Christ can bring.   Should a pattern of sin develop in our lives, the significance of the cross should remind us of the enormous price that was paid and that we've been set free from sins bondage and bring us back.  We should also realize the effects of our sin on others, especially Jesus. 
When I survey the wondrous Cross
on which the Prince of Glory died;
my richest gain I count but loss,
and pour contempt on all my pride.
Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,  save in the death of Christ, my God;  all the vain things that charm me most,  I sacrifice them to his blood.   See, from his head, his hands, his feet,  sorrow and love flow mingled down.  Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,  or thorns compose so rich a crown.   Were the whole realm of nature mine,  that were an offering far too small;  love so amazing, so divine,  demands my soul, my life, my all. 
Now, consider the new chorus to the hymn added by Chris Tomlin:
 
O the wonderful cross, O the wonderful cross
Bids me come and die and find that I may truly live
O the wonderful cross, O the wonderful cross
All who gather here by grace draw near
And bless Your name
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Galatians 2:17-21

New King James Version (NKJV)

17 "But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is Christ therefore a minister of sin? Certainly not! 18 For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. 19 For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain."

No comments: